three

I woke up in a dimly lit room that seemed to be some type of dungeon. I tried to get up, but discovered that I was chained to a wall. I looked up to see a girl with curly brown hair and brown eyes, a girl with wavy blonde hair and blue eyes, and two girls who looked exactly alike with black hair and green eyes staring at me. They were all extremely tan, except the twins, their skin looked porcelain.

"Why are you here," the brunette spat. Her eyes glared holes into me as she waited for me to respond.

"What do you mean?" I asked honestly confused.

"What we mean is who are you and why are you here? You don't belong here," the blonde spoke very cryptically. When I didn't answer she rolled her eyes before speaking again, "My name is Bridget," she pointed to the brunette, "she's Elizabeth," then she pointed to the twins, "and that's Abigail and Ann. We can sense something odd about you. Your aura is more developed than everyone here and you seem to demonstrate a different level of energy than any normal person here."

"How do you know all this?" I asked shakily.

This time one of the twins, Abigail I think, answered, "Simple. We're witches."

My eyes widened involuntarily as suddenly everything clicked into place.

flashback

"You'll be sent back in time to before everything went wrong in the world.Your task is to stop whatever the big event is that changed Earth's history," the hologram of one of our world leaders told me in a monotonous voice. "You will be the first person to go back in time, if you complete this mission you will forever be known as a hero to mankind, and if you fail..." the man paused and gave me a look that said 'you know what will happen.'

"I will not fail sir," I declared. Even though I knew that what I said probably wasn't true.

present time

1692. The Salem witch trials. This is what I needed to prevent in order to save the world.

I looked up at the four witches wide-eyed as my mother's words rang through my head. Everything happens for a reason sweetie, so let it happen, don't fight it. I met these four witches for a reason. They were the key. I can't let them, or any other witch die. I suddenly remembered reading about the Salem witch trials in ninth grade. I remember reading about who was the first to die, Bridget Bishop.