chapter one

The following days were dreadful. First came the sickness which quickly overcame my family, and all other family's in the immediate area. The world seemed to take its slow, sweet time in healing us. Leaving us without work and thus without money. Sister was gone, father was leaving, and I was soon to follow suit. I just hoped I wasn't sick when it happened.

Normally, when we were sold for work, it was for the good of our future or maby the financial safety of our family. But I, of course, was another case all together. Since I was sick my family would not be profiting, and since my new family was hardly the dream, this was far from beneficial.

The day I arrived, still sick, I was put to work immediately. many women jobs like barbers or maybe even dance, but I was nothing of the sort, of course.

It seemed for the rest of my life I was to be stuck as a maid, to do laundry, dishes and to cater at my new bosses leisure. I never expected to be fancy like an architect, but this is almost as bad as the streets.

Living alone almost seemed like paradise. Wandering the open road, picking up the occasional skill or doller where there was work to be done and creating a new norm. No, I would not be known as a hooligan, begging for my provisions. I would be easily acustomed to the poor life and could see myself thriving in a world with such freedom. But, of course, its not as simple as that.

And then an idea. Like a spark of light at the end of a long dark tunnel. The answer seemed so easy, but at the same time, so far fetched that I couldn't tell if I would be too late or too early. To me, the answer was in the beating heart of the great and graceful knabstrups that glided over the earth with long legs as swift and strong as anything in thought.

And at that moment, I knew this was my path.