Chapter 8: The Dance Club

Eldrid’s point of view

“Are you sure this is the place?” I asked doubtfully, eyeing the outside of the rundown dance club sceptically.

“Yes,” Mel said firmly, though she was starting to look unsure.

After the train journey, Steve and I had spent the day holed up in Mel’s apartment, waiting for the darkness. From the apartment window, I’d watched the numerous patrols pass-by throughout the day, consisting of violent Frost Giants and aloof Asgardians. Nick was right; the city really was swarming with Hela’s minions. The streets had been unsurprisingly deserted as the day wore on, with only the odd human braving the dangerous roads. Steve had spent the whole day talking to Mel, sharing stories. It turned out that Mel had done a couple of years in military service a few years back, which apparently meant that they had a lot to talk about.

Back in the present, Steve was unusually optimistic about the shabby building.

“I’m sure Mel’s right about this,” he assured me, but his blue eyes lingered on the cracked window beside the door.

Looking around, there were no other people coming or going from the ‘club’. It didn’t even have a name anymore – the neon letters had broken with neglect, and some were missing.

“What time is it?” I asked, and Mel shoved her sleeve up and peered at her watch.

“Ten pm.”

There was no sign of life from within the building; not a flicker of light and note of music escaped it. I sighed in exasperation.

“Melody, this is not the place,” I decided, but Mel was adamant.

“No, no, it is. This is where all the mutants and old supers hang out – it’s the only place where they can hang out without being captured. I think they come here because it helps them feel better knowing that they’re not alone, and are appreciated for what they are.”

“How do you know about this place then? Unless you’re a mutant...?”

“I’m not a mutant. And I’m not a superhero. I just have good connections.”

I looked at her suspiciously, but she met my gaze evenly.

“Maybe there’s a back door?” Steve suggested, after trying and failing to open the locked entrance.

We slipped down the side of the building. Blocking the way to the back was a tall, grated metal fence. I debated whether to fly over it … but I hadn’t used my powers to fly for two years now. I supposed that I could get the hang of it again soon…

I opted for the harder option.

I grabbed the fence, the grating making it easy to get a good grip, and began to scramble over. I let my body take over, my natural strength and ability flowing into my arms and legs as I climbed. With ease, I reached the top, but then found barbed wire lining the top of the fence.

Steve and Mel were watching me.

“Didn’t you see the barbed wire?” Mel asked dryly, grinning, and I gave her a dark look.

“Of course I did.”

I turned back to the barbed wire. Holding the fence tighter with my left hand, I precariously balanced as I held my right hand towards the metal. Heat surged through my arm down to my fingertips, where flames sparked to life. Concentrating, I increased the temperature of the fire, and melted the sharp wire. The barbed wire melted into harmless stubs of metal. I continued this until there was a generous width of safe fence.