Chapter Three

Ross quickly attempted to take in all the information laid out in front of him. He already knew it all, but a little review never killed anyone, right?

It didn't surprise him that he knew every single word of the chapter, and he found himself repeating the ones of the next in his head as well. He put the book away and got out another one.

Same as the first, he flew through the rest of the books and ended up having nothing else to do, as he didn't have anymore classes today. He looked over at Max, who was sitting in his desk chair, not really looking like he knew what to do.

Ross got up, going over to his radio, turning it on and browsing through the channels until Max told him to stop.

"This is a good one. Trust me." Max murmured, looking really into it, with only the first few beats having played.

"Once I was seven years old," Max smiled, standing up and singing the verse, "My Mama told me,"

Ross remembered hearing the song a few times, and sang the next verse, smiling at the ginger in front of him, "Go make yourself some friends or you'll be lonely,"

Maxs' grin got even bigger as he grabbed Ross' hand, spinning him around and singing, "Once I was seven years old."

-

The two college students laughed as they crashed into the bed, hearing the music fade out. They sang the whole song, dancing all the while, and frankly had a great time doing so.

Max grinned over at Ross as they lay there, breathless and happy, receiving one in return. Max rolled over and stared at the ceiling, eventually closing his eyes. His smile eventually faded away, and Ross came to realize he must've fallen asleep.

A few moments later, after confirming the state of the man, the brunette got up, moving the ginger into the proper position to lay down. He pulled the blankets up to his waist, remembering the weird habit he had of despising it above the specific area from the countless sleepovers their group had had. He sighed as he realized how much had probably changed within the man.

He let the radio play, turning it down as not to wake the man. A song he recognized as 'Colors' came on, and immediately dampened his somewhat happy mood. Now he was just calm.

He sat in the desk chair, putting his head in his arms and thinking of the things that'd been happening.

His cat hopped onto the desk, rubbing his arms with its head. The cat seemed to know exactly when he needed comfort.

Ross smiled and pet the cat, glancing over at the ginger man asleep in the bed he called his own. He quickly looked back at her, scratching under her chin. He heard Max shift in his sleep, the blankets getting wrapped around the man.

Ross shook his head; he really was confused, for the first time in a long, long time.

-

Tim burst through the door, almost yelling about him being home before noticing a strange man asleep in Ross' bed and Ross asleep with his head on his arm, laying on the desk next to his cat, KP. He pondered what could've happened, before shrugging it off and starting to pack. He was taking a trip to his parents after his Dad broke his arm; how, he was still contemplating. He grabbed everything he'd probably need that wasn't at his parents already, shoved it somewhat neatly into a backpack, and wrote a quick note explaining where he was going to Ross. Tim knew the boy would understand, as both their families were extremely important to them.

He almost walked out the door, before a thought popped into his head, murmuring, "You sly dog.." Before grinning and leaving a small box, adding a little something in parentheses to the note.

-

Max awoke first, looking around before remembering where he was. He looked down at himself, seeing the blankets wrapped around him a bit, right at his waist just like he liked.

He smiled upon realizing Ross must've put consideration into this. He realized the boy was at his desk, fast asleep, and had a rather calm look on his face. He recalled a distant memory of Ross telling him he felt safe with him. He blushed a bit at the thought, but quickly shook it off. He walked over to the boy, noticing the cat that he'd seen only once as a kitten before the blue eyed boy had moved away.

He remembered Ross' odd taste in music. While most kids were listening to country or pop, or even rap, there was Ross, listening to things Max couldn't describe. Songs like 'Pumped Up Kicks' and 'Echo' which frankly freaked him the fuck out.

He pet the cat, receiving a purr in response. He couldn't help himself from doing the same to Ross; he didn't know why. He just felt like it and gave in. Max noticed the note on the desk, along with a box covered in a blue paper. He chose to ignore it, not wanting to invade the nineteen year olds' privacy.

He didn't really know what to do, so he got out the book he was currently reading; The Red Pyramid. It was part of a series, but he was fine with just that one for now.

He read until he heard a groggy Ross wake up, looking over to see him raising up his glasses and wiping the sleep from his eyes. He took them off completely, wiping them on his shirt before putting them back on.

Ross looked over at the ginger, seeing him looking back, up from a book. He smiled at him, receiving one in return.

He looked back over at the desk, petting KP before noticing the box, and with it the note. He read it, reading;

'Hey Ross. Dad broke his arm. Gonna be out of town for the next week or two. Call you when I know for sure. - Tim (P.S. The box is a box of condoms, just in case. ;))'

Ross' face burnt bright red as he picked up the box, barely touching it, and tossing it into the trash can beside the door. He shook his head and murmured under his breath, "God dammit Tim." Before rolling the note up and doing the same as he did with the box.

-

(1076 words)