Chapter Fifty-Seven

When Maude's door closed behind them, Alexandra and Tris paused on the garden path and turned to each other. And just stood there, looking at each other, for a very long time.

"Alexandra," Tris finally murmured. He took the basket from her hand and set it on the gravel, then gripped both her shoulders, searching her eyes. "I've never seen you cry before," he said.

"I'm not crying," she said as her eyes glazed, making a liar of her. "It was just that when you said everyone makes mistakes...well, I'm sorry for mine, Tris. I'm sorry I was so obstinate that I drove you away."

He held her face in unsteady hands. "I'm not sorry you were obstinate. Look where it led. I was too obstinate to see you might be right." He shook his head. "I even thought Maude was confessing my guilt instead of her own."

"Everyone makes mistakes," she reminded him with a watery chuckle. She blew out a shaky breath. "Goodness, Tris, we did it."

"You did it," he said. "Sweet heaven, you did it." Grinning foolishly, he swept her up to twirl her in a wide circle right there in the cottage's little garden.

She laughed, lifting her face to the sky. "I told you," she crowed as he set her on her feet. "I told you that you weren't capable of causing harm to your uncle." She poked a finger into his chest. "And you aren't capable of hurting me, either."

He raised both hands in surrender. "You were right about that, too. They were just accidents." Then his hands darted out to seize her, yanking her to him.

"Oof!" she said, feeling the tenderness of her bruises. "Maybe now you have hurt me."

"I'm sorry." He kissed her and set her carefully away before he bent to retrieve her basket. "But I've never been so happy to hear I told you so in my entire life."

He led her back to the curricle and handed her in, then clambered up beside her. Seizing her once more, he kissed her so thoroughly she forgot her bruises altogether.

"Let's go home," he said, lifting the reins.

The curricle jerked as they pulled away. She unwrapped their luncheon, spreading the napkin over her lap with all of Mrs. Pawley's offerings. She was famished. She couldn't remember ever being so hungry.

"Everything is going to be so marvelous," she said, taking a big bite out of a chicken leg. "All of society will have to apologize to you, and my sisters are both going to marry dukes."

"Marquesses aren't good enough?" he asked with a raised brow.

She slapped a chicken leg into his open hand. "I suppose marquesses will do."

They ate and laughed all the way home, talking about their future. Tris still hadn't said he loved her, but she really didn't care. She was certain he did, and if it took him ten years to admit it, she could wait.

Was it her imagination, or had she never seen the sky a more brilliant blue? The sun sparkled on the Thames. Birds trilled in the trees. Everything seemed unnaturally bright, including her joyful husband.

"I've never seen you so jolly," she teased as they headed up Hawkridge Hall's drive. "Now that I know you're capable, I shall expect you to remain so."

"Constantly?"

"Indeed. We'll be the jolliest couple in England."

His laughter trailed off as the house loomed into view. The sight seemed to sober him slightly. "It is jolly to know I'm in the clear, but let's not celebrate until the authorities have taken Maude's statement. At the rate the law moves, she could die before they get out to Nutgrove."

"Oh, no—"

"I was jesting," he said with a lopsided grin. He pulled up before the steps. "That old bird will probably outlive us both. Besides, I'm going to find the sheriff right now and drag him there directly. Let me take care of tying up the details, and we can celebrate tonight."

Tonight. His tone sent a shiver of anticipation down her spine. Which nightgown would she wear?

Passing the reins to a groom, Tris lightly jumped to the gravel and came around to hand her down.

The powder blue one, she decided, offering her hand. He grinned up at her. "You waited this time."

"I would wait forever for you, Tris."

"I shan't be gone that long," he murmured, forgoing her hand to grasp her under her arms and swing her down. "Don't tell anyone the news—I want to announce it together tonight, after everything is settled."

He kissed her forehead, her cheek, and finally her mouth. Drawing back, he smoothed a stray curl from her face. "You must be exhausted, considering your injuries. I hope you'll rest while I'm gone."

Her senses still spinning, she nodded her assent.

He reached back into the curricle for the silver basket and pushed it into her hands before dropping one last kiss on her lips. "Go, will you? Before I'm tempted to accompany you upstairs."

She went straight up to their bedroom. She was exhausted.

Peggy seemed to be nowhere about, so she kicked off her shoes and burrowed, fully dressed, under the covers, where she dreamed of her marvelous new life while her husband secured their future. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

But wait, there's more...

xoxo,

Devon