You Found Me [1/2]

Thank you to fluffy_creature for the prompt: 

"Kid!Aleks is homeless and kid!Nova finds him and treats him like a brother...but when they're older, Aleks realises he wants more than that."

I've adjusted the prompt slightly – but enjoy it all the same! ;)

Aleks knew that he was different.

He was only six years old, but he knew that he wasn't like the other children in his class.

They were different to him. Their uniform was new; their hair was clean. They smiled. They laughed. They were loved.

But Aleks...Aleks had nothing.

He was nothing.

His uniform was always rumpled and covered in stains, and his ribs protruded through his thin shirt. His hair was unkempt, and smudges of dirt permanently littered his skin.

He didn't mind being different. He knew that his life was never going to be like theirs...but the other children hated him for it.

Every day, his classmates would taunt him on the playground, away from the watchful gaze of their teachers.

This recess was no different. The usual circle of bullies had him surrounded, and Aleks pressed himself up against the wall, hands clamped over his ears to block out their stinging words.

But it didn't work, and their insults managed to pierce through.

"Do you even shower Aleks? You stink!"

"My dad says that your parents are dirty, evil people."

"You're so ugly. I bet you have nits!"

Aleks closed his eyes, desperately trying not to cry. His mom always hit him when he cried, and he didn't want to get hurt again.

"Leave Aleks alone!"

A new voice had joined the crowd, one that Aleks didn't recognise. Warily, he opened his eyes, blinking away his tears to see James Wilson standing protectively in front of him.

James was in the grade above Aleks's, one of the popular kids, and Aleks was surprised to see him leaping to his defence.

So were the other children. The bullies hastily backed away, leaving James and Aleks alone.

"Are you okay?" James asked, peering down to look Aleks in the eye.

Aleks didn't shrink away from the proximity, and he grasped James's outstretched hand tentatively. He nodded, too shy to speak, and he felt James squeeze his fingers gently.

"My mom said that I should always help other children." James said earnestly, beginning to lead Aleks towards an empty bench. "You can eat lunch with me and my friends today. We'll look after you."