Chapter 2: Sweet Emotions

I was walking around the animated city. Everyone seemed to be busy as I walked into the coffee shop and selected the leek frape to drink. The counter suddenly displayed a white glow and when the glow disappeared, my order was waiting. I took it and went to a table meant for two vocaloids. I was drinking slowly, letting my censors take it all in when I got a notification from Master. He wanted to meet me in his office in thirty minutes! I quickly threw my frape in the trash, letting it blow up in hundreds of white particles as it returned to code. I ran out of the coffee shop and headed for the Crypton Future Media house.

By the time I got there, I was five minutes late. I ran into his office to find Rin, Len, Luka, Kaito, Meiko and Master all scanning me. I guess he must have notified everyone then, my battery slightly drained.

"Sorry I'm late," I said, but he just replied,

"That's okay, Miku. We were just discussing some things. Now let's get started on-,"

"But Master!" Len interrupted, "What is yaoi, and more importantly, what does it have to do with me and Kaito?!" A face I wasn't able to read came over Master's face as he told Len,

"Look Len. The less you know about that subject, the better. Discussion over. That's an order, Len!" He took a deep breath and made a face he usually had and continued, "If you recall, Rin and Len had some. . . 'Bugs',"

We all nodded, glancing at the pair, who were sitting side by side on a loveseat. "I had to 'update' them. Now lately, I have done some studies, and come across something worth thinking about: an update I call 'appends'."

Len lifted his hand and said, "What is an 'appends'?"

"An append is kind of like. . . 'An add on', 'an extra'. You don't need it, but it will help. It will give you more human-like qualities. It will give you specific emotions, like being happy or sad or confused. Right now, everyone here but Kaito and Meiko have one emotion, but I wouldn't call it an emotion if that's all you have." He responded. I have an emotion? I'm getting emotions?! My battery percent increased at the thought.

"Thank you Master," Meiko and Kaito said in unison.

"What's mine, Master?" Len asked, making something I call a "Len Face." Master started making weird noises.

"Are you alright, Master?" Meiko and Kaito asked.

"Yeah," He said after he stopped making the noise, "I was just laughing. It's just kind of ironic you said that, Len. Let's see. . . Miku is excited, Rin is bravery, you are curiosity, and Luka is mature." Excited. . . I feel. . . excited? So this is 'emotion'? I didn't feel any different, though. . .

"What is 'curious', Master?" Len asked. He patted his lap and Len sat on it like a human child I once saw and stared up at him. That's what curious must be then, I concluded. A child.

"Well, Lenny. You would know better than anyone here because," he paused, "When someone wants to know more or asks a lot of questions, that's curiosity."

"Tell me more," Len said. Master "laughed" then said,

"There's nothing else to tell you, Len. Discussion over, that's an order." Len remained in his lap, but turned to scan Kaito's face.

"Kaito, do you know what yoai is?" Len asked 'curiously', I think. . .

"Judging on the command the human gave us it is when two males-" Kaito was saying when Master interrupted,

"Kaito don't tell him. Remember what happened when he got back? I had to delete as much as I could from his memory on this subject. Meeting adjourned, and the discussion is over forever, Len." Everyone stood up. Kaito, Meiko and Luka left.

"Hey Len, ready to go down Vocal Peak?" Rin asked her mirror image. My system recalled that Vocal Peak was the highest programed place. Beyond them was a wall of code, not allowing any vocaloid past them.

"The big one?" Len responded.

"Yup!" Rin responded, dragging him out. I was about to head out myself, but then Master said,

"Actually Miku, could you stay here for awhile longer?" Of course I agreed.

"As you recall, people like you more than the others." He said. Although I never could quite understand what that meant, I nodded. "Therefore it would be the best if I gave you the appends first."

"Really?!" I cried, jumping up and down. "I'm going to feel emotions first?!" He nodded, looking like his usual self. He opened the door to his lab, where me and "my friends" were created, where he fixed our bugs, where we recorded our songs and he gave us new outfits. I followed him in and shut the door behind us.

"Lay over there," he told me, pointing at a metal table where I had first started up. My program suddenly brought up the moment when I first started operating as I did what he asked.

"CV01, power off." I heard him say then all the pixels faded into black.

---

"CV01, power on." Master said, and I opened my eyes. How long has it been since he started working on me? I couldn't tell. I sat up to find Master, Len, Rin, Luka, Meiko and Kaito all staring at me. Awkwardly, I stared back at them, not breaking the silence. Finally, Len asked,

"Is she broken?" Master walked over to me and scanned me.

"Well, only one way to find out," replied Master, "How do you feel, Miku?"

"Well, my sensors are a lot clearer," I replied, looking down and realizing I had been given a new outfit.

It was white and quite revealing. In the middle, a part had been cut out and replaced with a pale green tie. Like with my other outfit, I had detached sleeves, however these were much tighter and longer. I also had tights like the sleeves. Where the tights and the outfit seemed to meet, there was something that resembled a skirt. . . Kind of.

"Try using your appends," Master said, then told me how to use them. After I learned, I saw that I had 'Sweet' that was the emotion 'sweet', 'Dark' that was the emotion 'mature' and 'Soft' that was kind of in the middle of those two. I also saw that 'Light' was the emotion 'cute' or 'happy', 'Vivid' was the emotion 'lively', and 'Solid' was 'strong'.

I tried Sweet. The pixels blurred for a moment then it went back to normal as my program was able to understand some new things. Suddenly, something was calling me to do something, and it wasn't Master. I got up as my face was filled with a smile and a giggle escaped my lips. I walked over to the group of vocaloids I had known for years. I hugged Len who responded,

"W-What is this?"

"A hug silly!" I giggled. I hugged Rin, who I accidentally made malfunction. I heard a click, and then I was Dark.

"Oops, well I should stop giving those out." I said, lifting Rin up along with Luka then setting her on the table she had first woken up on to be fixed.