Chapter 5: Feelings

Mihawk sat quietly and looked out at the night sky as the other man slept. It was beautiful as always, with bright shining stars lighting the way. It was as if he was staring at heaven itself. He stood up to take a brief walk, hoping that nothing bad happens to Shanks while he is gone.

He stood up and walked into the forest. He knew the forest well enough to navigate through the dark area without any help. He made his way towards the waterfall to get some fresh water.

As he neared the waterfall, he noticed something odd. He felt as if he was being observed, kind of like being stalked. He knew only large beats roamed around the forest during the night, so he was certain it wasn't native animals that lived around here.

Mihawk grabbed his sword and unsheathed it. "Who's out there? Show yourself." He said into the forest, unsure of where they were located.

He got ready to strike as he heard rustling noises near the bush. He approached the sound, and raised his sword. He was ready to fight, when suddenly the creature walked out. It was... Shanks?

Surprised, Mihawk lowered his sword. "Shanks? But I thought you were sleeping? Why did you follow me?"

"I umm... I needed some fresh air. I woke up not long after you left. After I noticed you were gone, I came outside to find for you... And I guess I ended up stalking you all the way here..." Shanks replied sheepishly.

"Oh. I'm sorry I shouldn't have left. I should have been looking after you."

"No no! It's fine. Really. I just needed some air."

Mihawk and Shanks stared at each other for a while, until Mihawk spoke out.

"Hey, uhm. I'm going to get some water. Do you want some too?"

"You know what. That wouldn't be such a bad idea."

Both men headed towards the lake, where they reached down to scoop up some fresh water. They spent some time getting water. After they were done, both got up and stretched.

"Wow... It's... So beautiful... I've never seen such beautiful night sky before!" Shanks exclaimed as he observed the night sky.

"Yea, it also took me by a surprise when I first arrived here. Not a bad place to train, huh?" Mihawk answered back as he too, looked up at the sky once more.

"Yea... It reminds me of the sky I always looked at with my old crew." Shanks quietly said under his breath. He hoped Mihawk didn't hear it.

"... Hey. Who's crew were you a part of? You keep mentioning it." Mihawk asked after a few moment of silence.

"Oh... I was under the Pirate King Roger." Shanks replied with a grin. He may have separated from the rest, but he still had pride as a crew mate under the pirate king himself.

"I see. Do... You miss them? Your crew I mean."

"I did. But it's a thing of the past now. I can't let the past hold me back."

Both men stared into the sky in silence. They didn't know what to say to each other any more.

"Hey. Let's go back to the hut. We both need to rest." Mihawk finally said to break the silence.

"Oh. Right. Yea let's go back." Shanks replied back. For a moment he thought he was going to fall. Maybe he didn't get enough rest. He still felt weak from the venom.

"Hey... Does... The venom have some kind of a different affect other than... You know... Being a venom?" Shanks asked Mihawk.

"You mean like... Other side effects? You may have a similar feeling of being drunk with slight headache, vomiting, coughing, sudden rush of adrenaline, having delusions, etcetera etcetera. What's wrong? Are you feeling ok?" Mihawk said worriedly.

"Huh? I feel fine... Don't worry about me..." Shanks replied back as he touched his forehead with his hand. Definitely a fever. Something he wished didn't come in front of Mihawk. He promised himself that he wouldn't show any weakness in front of the other man, yet it couldn't be stopped. He stumbled, and tried to grab onto a nearby tree for support.

"Hey! Are you ok? Here I'll carry you back." Mihawk said as he rushed to the red haired man's side.

Shanks didn't resist the help. He couldn't stop himself from being carried away.

"Why? Why can't I be stronger? I trained so hard to be able to go on my own, yet I keep having to rely on someone for help. Am I just too weak? How come I just can't do any damn thing on my own?" Shanks said to himself, but loud enough for the other man to hear. He couldn't stop himself from crying either.

Seeing Shanks like this took Mihawk by surprise. He stopped walking, and gently lowered Shanks against a tree.

"Hey. Listen. I know you're strong. You trained on your own, and fought through loneliness. You kept on going even though you craved the feeling of being with your crew. I think that the fact that you were able to make it this far is a sign saying that you're strong." Mihawk quietly whispered as he leaned closer to Shanks.

"But I just can't fight my emotions! I... I just can't go without relying on someone! You don't understand what it's like being so lonely after being with a family... Why can't I just do this myself? Why can't I go without your help?" Shanks said as he quietly sobbed. He couldn't fight back the tears any more.

Mihawk raised his hands to wipe the tears away. He slowly moved his hands down his cheeks, down to his necks. He leaned closer and placed his lips onto the other man's lips. It was soft. He slowly took in the taste of Shank's lips. Salty with his tears, yet sweet with fresh water from the lake.

Mihawk moved his hands to softly hold the red haired man's face. Mihawk silently asked for permission inside Shank's mouth with his tongue, to which Shanks showed no resistance. Mihawk gently touched the other man's tongue with his own. They both stayed like this until they broke away for air.

"But... Why? Did... Did you.." Shanks asked but was cut off by Mihawk.

"From the first time I have ever laid my eyes on you, I've fallen in love with you. That's why I cared so much for you." Mihawk replied back. It must have answered the question Shank's was about to ask, because he just stared in silence.

"Let's go back to the hut. You need to rest." Mihawk picked Shanks back up, and walked towards the direction of the hut. They were silent during the trip. The only sound they heard was the sound of the water flowing down the river and the wings of nocturnal birds. It was going to be one hell of a morning, Mihawk thought as he walked into the hut.

Shanks was already asleep in his arms. Mihawk gently placed him down the bed, and sat down on the floor. At least they both in a way confessed their feelings for each other. He grinned at the thought of Shanks falling for him, and quietly drifted into the dream land.