Chapter 15: Risky Bet

Mihawk only had one thing in mind. Hurry up with this damn navy business in the war, and leave as fast as he can. But he never knew that the war would drag on to what it felt like an eternity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mihawk left the island right before Shanks arrived. His boat was docked on the opposite side of the island, which has hidden Mihawk's trace. As he sailed to the sea, he looked back with regret. Should he have told Shanks? It was too late now though. He had a business to take care of.

After traveling for about a week, Mihawk finally reached the Marine Headquarters. Since the execution was nearing, everyone was on guard, ready to take on any enemy on sight.

Mihawk was escorted to the meeting room by a couple of marines. He could tell they were frighten, because they were shaking most of the way to the room. His reputation is quite fierce after all.

Mihawk was the first to arrive. Not surprising, considering the fact that like himself, many other shichibukais liked to take their sweet time when it came to government business. It just happened to be that Mihawk was near by when he was called in.

Mihawk leaned back against the couch and lifted his feet to rest on the table. He slid his hat just enough to cover his eyes, and let his eyes close. Might as well take a nap if the meeting wasn't going to start for a while.

Mihawk woke from the vibration caused by someone sitting next to him on the couch. He didn't move, but listened in on the person next to him.

"Sleeping in the middle of the marine base... Fufufu you really let your guards down Hawkeyes."

"Anyone who is foolish enough to attack me here will not be allowed to walk in this life for as long as I live. You're unusually early, Doflamingo."

"Fufufu~ I got bored, that's all."

Mihawk raised his hat back up, and sat up straight. He checked the time, and noticed that he slept for 4 hours. It did help him with refueling his energy though.

Soon enough, most of the warlords gathered around. The only ones missing were Hancock and Jinbe. Probably off doing something stupid, he thought.

"Looks like we're going to have to wait a little bit longer for the arrival of Hancock."

At the voice, everyone in the room stared at the doorway. It was the Fleet Admiral Sengoku, and as always, his pet goat.

"Jinbe... Is not willing to cooperate. He will be treated as a pirate, and locked up in Impel Down. Hancock for some odd reason, wanted to see the prisoner to be executed. It won't be long, so just wait a little more. Also, there is a change of plan. The execution will take place sooner than we expected. We hope to rid of the prisoner before Whitebeard arrives."

As soon as he said this, Sengoku left the room in silence. Great. More waiting. But it at least he could prepare himself against Whitebeard and his allies during the war.

Mihawk wasn't much of a social person. He just sat around on the couch, dozing off from time to time. He was annoyed by Doflamingo trying to talk to him constantly, but he managed to ignore him enough to make him go away.

Even though the war was close, he only had one thought in his mind:

Shanks.

What would he be doing during the war? Surely he wouldn't join in the war, since he wasn't very close to Whitebeard... Or would he? Thinking of this only made Mihawk worry more about Shanks. In the end, he decided to fight with all his might, assuming that Shanks wouldn't interfere. It was a bet that Mihawk was willing to take.