°chapter 1°

That night it was peaceful, my warm comforter warmed my freezing body. My phone buzzing on my nightstand, I ignore it, too tired.

I was slowly slipping into sleep when a groan came from outside my door. What the hell. I slip the covers off of me, my feet hitting the frigid cold wood floor. Sirens wailed in the background. I grab my phone and slip into some jeans, and a long sleeve shirt.

More moaning echoed through the house. I could feel fear bubble inside me. I opened the door slightly and peeked out. Crimson blood was dribbled on the wood floors. I ran through the hall, flying into my bathroom. Tears well up in my eyes. Groans erupt through the house. The door to my bathroom can be popped open by slightly pushing it. Oh my gosh, what the hell is happening. The strange sounds come closer to the bathroom so I shut myself in my glass shower.

I huddle in the corner as the bathroom door swings open. A deep moan comes from the figure as it walks by the shower. Blood seeping from its mouth, the liquid covers it. I cringe from the smell and the sight. It bellows and then turns, slowly walking outside. My phone starts to furiously buzz. Oh shit, oh shit. I struggle to hang up as the creature turns. I shut my eyes. Something slams into the door as blood paints the glass. The creature falls. The door opens as I feel excitement erupt in me. My 17 year old brother Carter grabs me by the shoulder and shoves a gun into my hand.

"I cant use this." He glared at me as we hustle down the hallway. "Your 16, Maya, I think you can manage." He replies as he stands by a corner, putting his arm in front of me, preventing me from going forward. "Where's mom and dad?" His face turns sympathetic, "that was him in the bathroom, not him but a murderous, blood thirsty version of him. Mom is gone." Tears well in my eyes but I hold them back, its just me and Carter now. He looks at me once again, "try to kill them with the butt of the handgun, they are attracted to sound." I swallow nodding in understanding. We run outside, panic fills the streets, people shooting each other. "I think they are zombies, Maya." He bellows over the loud sound. "We are not in your Call Of Duty video game, Carter." He grabs my hand and pulls me behind a cop car. "They are eating people Maya." The thought makes me gag. My brother turns and shoots the infected figure in the face. Blood sprinkles on my shirt and it lands on my face. I start to throw up. I stop and Carter runs to our car. I jump in the passenger seat as he starts the engine.

We drive past wrecked cars, mangled corpses, and other gruesome sights. People start throwing themselves on the car, screaming, blood covering the wind shield. Carter pulls me out of the car as everybody shoves themselves through the other side. Rain starts to fall. The infected start running after us, bloody mouths gaping open, hungry for flesh. Everyone runs through an alley to a gated area, I make it through as people start shutting the gates. Carter slips in a puddle and falls. I turn to run to him but the crowd pulls me through the gate leaving Carter and countless other innocent people. "Let him through!" I scream at the top of my lungs as I grasp my brothers hand. "I love you Maya, so much, survive, survive for me." The infected run on top of the people on the other side of the fence. Carter looks at me in the eye and says, "shoot me Maya, please, I don't want to be one of them." I take my gun and I point it at his head, "I love you Carter." The pressure ignites through my finger....

°°°°°READ BELOWWWWW||||
A big twist. So keep reading... Love you guyssss . The beginning starts out kind of shaky but keep reading, I promise it gets better. Check out my other book silence.

-$tellar