°chapter 7°

The crisp day light floods the woods, causing me to wake up. I realize that Troy had his arms around me and I secretly blush.
I nudge his chest, "come on Troy, its morning." I say quietly. He yawns, stretching his arms out.

"We will keep traveling through the woods for I would say 12 more miles, and then we follow the highway. Hopefully their will be a car, that I can hotwire." He says while climbing down the tree.

"Alright." I say hopping on the ground.

We walk throughout the woods, maneuvering through trees.

"What was your life like before the apocalypse, Maya?" he asked, obviously curious.

"I had an older brother named Carter, a father," I fought back tears. "A mother, my life was great. I was the girls soccer team captain, I made straight A's." I said looking at the ground.

"That sounds amazing." He replies while looking ahead.

"What about you?" I question.

He looks at me, " two younger sisters, Stacy died 5 days before I came here. Emma passed away when my mom was giving birth. Unfortunately my mother also died too. I had a great dad. I played football, soccer, and basketball." He looks at me with sad eyes.

"I'm so sorry." I say looking him at him with sympathy.

He shrugs the subject off.

A bullet ricochets off the tree beside me. Troy looks around with his gun pointed. Another shot rings in the distance.

"Run." Troy says while firing desperate shots. I sprint hopelessly towards the edge of the woods as someone tackles me. He puts a gag in my mouth as I see two men trying to hold Troy back.
"M-ay- a." He whimpers out as he passes out.

"Let go of him, please!" I scream as I spit the gag out.

The man holding me yells, "take that one to the truck!"

The men haul Troy off to a truck on the other side of the woods.

My handgun and M16 lay 10 feet away so I couldn't possibly reach them in time.

I then think of my knife. The man starts to circle me like a shark.

"A lot of the women are dead, why aren't you?" He spits at me. I reach in my boot and I grab my knife throwing it at the mans chest. It impales him as I tackle him. I retrieve the knife from his chest. I repeat the maneuver again while stabbing him in the chest again.

I get up, sweat dripping. Oh shit, Troy. I run over to my guns, picking them up. I sprint through the forest until my core starts to burn.