Mother Knows Best

Hungry, Mercury walked herself beyond the desert, beyond her apartment, in search of adequate food. Dahlia hadn't come round for a few weeks and it put a hitch in Mercury's schedule. She hadn't eaten nor had sex in that whole time, her belly rumbling and her skin tingling. She didn't care that Dahlia was gone, but during her most recent family get together her mother had asked about Dahlia, and appeared satisfied when she said Dahlia wasn't about anymore. Mercury put two and two together, moved on, and begun searching for a new source of sex. She hadn't found one, but she was working on a coworker that was easily malleable. Unfortunately she needed to be sly as to not get fired for sexual harassment. No job meant no money meant no apartment.

     A honking horn attracted Mercury's attention and she turned her head to find Dahlia smirking in the driver's seat of a dark vehicle. "Hungry?" the Siren asked, slapping a hand on a box sitting in the passenger seat.

     Mercury approached the vehicle. "Yes."

     Dahlia smiled wide. "Get in. I'll drive you home. When you let me inside you get the box."

     It took Mercury only a second to agree and slip into the backseat smoothly. She buckled up and waited patiently, wanting to eat already. She could smell the blood and flesh.

     "I have the night off," said Dahlia. She glanced into the rear view mirror. "Not that you're wondering. Are you?"

     "No."

     "Just as I thought. I'm guessing you haven't been wondering where I've been either."

     "I haven't."

     "Well, how about if I tell you, anyway?"

     Mercury blinked. "Okay."

     Dahlia pulled into Mercury's apartment complex and parked in an empty space designated for guests. "Your mom paid me a visit. Lovely woman."

     Exiting the vehicle, Mercury grunted. She had guessed that and she didn't care. But she was raised to acknowledge those speaking to her. Thus the grunt.

     "Oh, yes," continued Dahlia, following Mercury to the correct apartment. "She wanted me to stay far from you. How do you feel about that?"

     Mercury opened the front door and allowed Dahlia inside. She waited for her reward. "I don't care."

     Dahlia handed over the box then moved to the table near the kitchen. "She threatened me."

     "Okay." Mercury was placing the box on the kitchen counter. She paused, then looked to Dahlia. "Don't take the threat lightly."

     "Hm?" Dahlia was surprised Mercury bothered to warn her. "Do you care about me?"

     "No."

     "Well, do you think she'll come after me now that I'm here?"

     "Yes, when she finds out."

     "Are you going to tell her?"

     "No."

     Dahlia narrowed her eyes. "If she asks will you tell her?"

     "Yes."

     Lips puckered, Dahlia put her chin in her hand and listened to Mercury slurp. The day of a family get together wouldn't be for some time yet. Mercury's mother would probably ask, and Dahlia really didn't want to encounter the woman again. But her curiosity over Mercury was simply too much. Perhaps she could make a deal. 

     As Mercury finished her meal and begun to clean up, Dahlia asked, "Want to have sex?"

     Mercury halted and said, "Yes," then continued scrubbing.