Chapter Twenty-Two: The End

I explained my entire adventure to Dad, both of us sitting in the cold, grey train terminal. I started all the way back from when Mum kicked me out of the house more than two years ago, all the way up to this very moment when I reunited with him. Dad listened, genuinely intrigued. I had to omit certain details (like Paul punching me up in the pub bathroom and John pressing his hard-on up against my leg), but I got my point across.

"So, basically," I said after concluding my story, "I was disguised as a boy for several months so I could join a band. We went to Hamburg, crazy shit happened, I fell in love, I fell out of love, and, well... here I am now."

It took Dad several seconds to process the information that had been violently thrust upon him. He soon shook his head, as if he had been swimming underwater, and gave me a sad, almost disappointed look. I began to worry. Maybe telling him the truth hadn't been such a good idea.

"It seems you've led a very exciting life, Mishie," he said slowly, using a special nickname I hadn't heard in years.

I nodded, still unsure where this conversation was going.

"I'm proud of how you've taken matters into your own hands and made a wonderful life for yourself," Dad continued. "I always knew you'd be in a band someday - and be a very good girl at the same time."

Hearing that phrase - 'good girl' - was like receiving a punch in the stomach. Little did Dad know, I hadn't been a very good girl at all. I may have neglected to tell him about the sort of thing George and I got up to during our time together in Germany.

"I've heard that life in a band can be extremely dangerous," said Dad. "But I know you're way too good and sensible to get mixed up in any funny business."

'Good'. Punch! 'Sensible'. Punch! Punch!

That was enough. I couldn't stand it. I had to come clean.

"Um... Dad?" I murmured. "I... I have something to tell you."

"What's that, darling?" said Dad.

"Well..." I paused, wondering where would be an appropriate place to begin. Nowhere seemed right, but I had to tell him. Lying wouldn't have done any good, and he would have found out eventually. 

"Well," I said again. Then I let out a huge sigh. "Dad? Remember that George character I told you about? The one I said I was good mates with?"

"Yes," Dad answered.

"Yeah, well, he knocked me up."

I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for something to happen. Dad was silent for a long time. The only sounds I could hear were the commotion of the passengers in the train terminal and the large clock on the wall striking the hour. Other than that, nothing. I opened one eye slowly and caught a quick glimpse of Dad's face. To my amazement, he had remained remarkably calm, although there was a large vein standing out on his forehead.

"Oh, Mishie," he whispered. "Why didn't you say something sooner?"

I was a bit confused by this question. I had literally run into him only minutes ago, so wasn't now as soon as I could have told him? Dad was probably too shocked and overwhelmed to speak clearly. The only thing I could do that seemed appropriate would be to shrug.

"Sorry, Dad," I said quietly. "I didn't mean for it to happen. It just... did."

"I can't blame you, sweetheart," Dad sighed. "I know you didn't mean for this to happen. What about the father - this George character? Does he know?"

I had to shake my head. "No. I didn't tell him. I, uh... I left him a note just before I left. I doubt he's read it yet."

"Oh, God," said Dad. He rubbed his throbbing forehead and exhaled loudly. "Still, the damage is done. There's no backing out now. How far are you?"