Home

After the doctor came back in the room and gave Louis a prescription, he was discharged. When they arrived home, Max helped Louis into the house. "Dad!"
Jack emerged out of his office, "Aren't you home early?"
"Louis ended up in the hospital."
"What happened?" he asked seeing Max and Louis slowly heading up the stairs.
""Louis was diagnosed with-"
"Aw, damn it! Don't say Addison's."
Irene nodded.
"How's he doing?"
"He's just tired right now. Thank God school's out for Christmas. He can just rest for the next few days while the medicine takes effect. They gave him an injection to boost his recovery."
"I'll go up and talk to him for a little while."
"He said something really sweet in the hospital."
"What's that?"
"He said, 'When I said I wanted to be like Pops, I didn't mean just like him.'"
Jack cracked a smiled, "He wants to be like me?"
"You're his role model."
Jack and Irene hugged and then Jack walked upstairs while Irene went into the living room and sunk down into the sofa. "Aren't you home early?" said the soft voice that belonged to Jackie.
"Louis has Addison's. He passed out in school."
Jackie sat down next to Irene, "How are you holding up?"
"I mean... It's awful, but Dad's managed. I'm sure Louis can too. I better go tell John that I can't go see White Christmas with him tonight."
    "Nonsense. Irene, you kill yourself 365 days a year for everyone. Go have fun. Dad and I will take care of the boys."
    "Are you sure?"
    "Yes. Now, go get dressed. John's planning on taking you out to dinner too."
    Irene stood and walked to her room. She dressed in a wine colored formal dress with a pair of strappy high heeled shoes. As she descended the stairs, she saw John at the bottom wearing a suit and wrist corsage.
    He handed it to her and then helped her put it on, "You're so sweet, John-John." She smiled walking out of the house.
    "John, I have a question for you."
    "What's that?" he asked opening her door for her.
    "You're always nice to me, but you're being unusually nice. What's the deal?"
    "You just deserve to be pampered. You're always so stressed. I think you just need to relax that way you can spend quality time with Katie and Josie when they get home."
    "Thank you, John."
    That evening, John and Irene went to the theatre and dinner. When they arrived home, Irene barely made it to her bedroom. She was exhausted, but excited to see her girls the next morning.
She woke early and put on the coffee pot. After that, she got dressed and made a quick trip to the girls' favorite donut shop. The second she arrived back at home, she dashed back inside and put the donuts on the counter, "Someone has been up awhile," Caroline commented as she descended the stairs in her pajamas.
"I got donuts! Just make sure to leave Katie a Boston cream filled and leave Josie a maple cream filled."
"Sure!" Caroline smiled reaching into the box and pulling out a jelly donut.
A few minutes later, Irene heard a car outside. Irene ran to the door and stood on the stoop. She hadn't seen her girls since school had started and she missed them dearly. "Katie! Josie!" Irene beamed running toward them as they climbed out of the car.
     She hugged Josie and then went to hug Katie, "What in the hell is that!"