Date

Irene woke up in a cold sweat. It was early, but she decided to get out of bed anyways. She paced around downstairs as she sipped at her cup of coffee. At six in the morning, there was a knock at the door. Irene looked through the peephole and opened the door, "What are you doing here?"
"Ma," Max said barging in the house.
"Come right in, Mackey<" Irene laughed.
"Ma, I gotta tell you somethin'."
"You sound just like your grandfather."
"Ma!" Max said grabbing Irene's hand, "I've been tossing and turning all night. Louis and I have been keeping something from you."
"What's that?"
"We want to run for office."
Irene sighed, "Mackey, I knew this was coming."
"You did?"
"I knew for a long time actually. I guess I didn't actually know, but I had a feeling. I know you wanted to be like your dad and grandfather."
"Mom, what was he like?"
Irene sat down on the couch and patted the seat next to her. Max sat down, "He was incredible. Pop-Pop adored him and that's why he asked him to be his assistant Attorney General. I have to tell you something, Mackey."
"What?"
"I have a date tomorrow."
"Mom, that's great!"
"You're not upset?"
"Why would I be upset? I never knew Dad and I'm a grown man. It's not like this guy's going to have to teach me to play baseball or something."
Irene hugged Max, "Thanks, kid. I love you."
"I love you too, Ma."
Max left after having a donut and a cup of coffee with his mother. Irene spent the rest of the day around the house until it was time for her to get ready for her date. She showered and fixed her long hair, that over the years had seemed to gain those little flecks of red until her hair was basically auburn. Then she dressed in a pair of tailored jeans and a pretty green blouse with matching green shoes. Marty arrived promptly at five just as she was sliding her flats on her feet. "Hi!"
"Hi ya there!"
"Come in, please,"
"You have a beautiful home."
"Thank you. I'm just going to run upstairs and grab my purse. I'll be right back." Irene bound up the stairs and grabbed her purse. When she got back downstairs, they cruised off into the night for what would be the first date for both of them in nearly twenty years.