Chapter 8

The following morning, Lucy's parents arrive at the apartment and wrap her in a hug before placing a few gifts on the countertop. Lucy pulls theirs out from under the tree and adds them to the pile. The boys come out of their rooms and greet the two before sitting down on the couches. Fred levitates the presents over to the coffee table and Lucy sits down next to him while her parents sit across from them. Lucy passes her gifts to Marianne and Dereck and upon her insistence, they open them first. They find an assortment of candies and trinkets from Hogsmeade, along with scarves from Gryffindor and Slytherin. Lucy explains the scarves to them and Marianne laughs before wrapping the Gryffindor scarf around her neck, giving the Slytherin one to Dereck. Lucy passes them one more gift to open and Marianne uses her perfectly manicured nail to tear the wrapping paper. Inside is a medium sized leather bound book. She flips it open with a curious expression to find dozens of pictures of Lucy throughout the years from her stay at Addams Manor. Lucy tells her that she'd saved them all before the manor was closed up and decided to give them to her parents to make up for them not getting to physically see her grow up. She leaves out that most of the pictures were taken in Annabella's efforts to sell her off early. As Marianne and Dereck flip through the pages, Lucy glimpses a picture of her around age five, sitting on the floor in a nice dress with her hair braided back, a teddy bear in her hands. Little Lucy turns to look toward the camera and giggles before waving. Lucy crosses the space to hug her mother and father as Marianne starts to cry. Lucy calms her down and sits back down. The parents then give gifts to the boys, revealing prank items from a local store in New York. They instantly get absorbed in the products, wondering how they can create versions of them to sell in their own shop. Lucy rolls her eyes and begins to open her gifts. Her presents turn out to be clothing, music, and candies from New York, and a pair of ballet slippers, black in colour. She raises an eyebrow at her mother upon opening the shoes, and Marianne's eyes shoot over to Fred before she smiles. Lucy smiles too and hugs her parents in thanks.
Marianne and Lucy prepare a brunch for everyone and they discuss the new house and Lucy's plans after graduation. She tells her mother that she hadn't thought about it much. Marianne stirs the eggs for a moment before startling Lucy by offering to pay for any muggle university Lucy wanted if she was interested. Lucy tries to assure her it's not necessary but she insists it is what a mother would do for her daughter.
"Lucy loves dancing, she should go for that." Fred cuts in, sneaking a piece of bacon from the plate next to Lucy.
"Go sit down somewhere Fred." Lucy chides. "And stop eavesdropping."
He kisses the top of her head before sitting down at the table and rejoining a conversation with her father.
"I didn't even know that you danced until I sent a letter to the boys asking what I should get you. You'll have to show me sometime."
"It's not something I was able to do often. They found out at the Yule Ball last year when I danced with the arranged, then afterward when I briefly opened my studio. It's still there, I just can't open until after graduation I suppose unless I work over the summers."
"After brunch could we go down to the studio?" Her mom asks hopefully, giving the same pouty look Lucy gives to the twins when she wants something.
"I definitely know that look... I suppose we could go." Lucy replies with a smile.
They plate the food and bring them over to the table. They all eat while chatting cheerfully. After the dishes are washed, the group heads out into the cold toward Lucy's dance studio. Her mom notices the name and grins. Lucy unlocks the door and they all step in out of the cold.
After the boys turn the lights and heater on, Lucy slips off her shoes and laces up the ballet flats before turning to her mother. She asks her to name a dance style and does a small routine with what Marianne says. After a minute or two she tells her to change it and alters her routine to fit, then continues on and on flawlessly. Lucy ends with a spin before curtsying to her friends and parents. They all applaud, causing her to blush. She turns off the radio and heater before changing back into her boots and putting her jacket back on. They walk back home with Lucy walking next to her mother who nudges her.
"If you want to go to a University for dancing, I know of an amazing one in New York City called Juilliard."
"I'll think about it Mum. We'll see how things go before graduation."