Chapter 24

Malfoy decided to approach Lucy at the end of October, the first contact they'd had since their second night back at Hogwarts. It was after everyone else had gone to sleep. Lucy, unable to sleep snuck downstairs to sit in front of the fireplace and attempt to relax. She hadn't noticed due to the minimal lighting in the room, that Malfoy had done the same thing, though he sat in the window looking into the murky waters of the lake they were underneath. He startled her by speaking up about twenty minutes after she'd curled up in the armchair. Her gaze instantly hardened and her body tensed, ready to defend herself or flee when the need arose. He'd simply said hello, which put her more on edge than if he'd started in on his usual tirades. She ignores him and attempts to calm her rapid heartbeat and rests her head on her knees. He speaks again a few minutes later, asking if she couldn't sleep.
"Could you sleep if you'd been subjected to multiple beatings and the Cruciatus curse several times a day?" She retorts quietly. "Could you sleep knowing that your abuser is roaming the same halls, in the same classes, in the same house that you're in? Could you sleep while you're fighting to protect your friends, family, and innocent students from Him and his flunkies? Could you sleep after watching your Headmaster get murdered? Could you sleep knowing the people that kidnapped you and raised you to be a breeder for purebloods has escaped Azkaban and became Death Eaters and could be lurking anywhere? Could you sleep living in constant fear...?" She trails off in a whisper.
The room grows quiet with the exception of the fire crackling between them.
"I'm sorry Lucy." He finally mutters.
"Apologies mean nothing to me Draco. You made your choices knowing the consequences. Nothing can change the past."
"Are you happy, Lucy?" He asks suddenly, making her look up at him. "Are you happy with him?"
"More than words. I love him and he loves me. We're getting married after this year."
"It's all I've ever wanted. I wanted you to be happy." He mutters, unfolding himself from the window sill. "Goodnight Lucy." He whispers as he passes her and disappears up the stairs behind her.

(A/N: I know this part is short, but it felt like an okay spot in the story to end the chapter)