Heading Home

The birds flew over head in the small town of Franklin Beach. Behind all the glamor and beautiful beaches there was also struggle
and poverty. Near the local high school and deep into the forest there was a small shack that was supposedly haunted, but as a mater of fact every accusation about this place was bull. Inside the shack lived a 15 year old girl. She had brown hair that had been kissed by the sun and delicate hazel eyes. She lived alone in her tiny house ever since the beginning of sophomore year. Her life had drastically changed after both her parents died and her guardian left her. She had no friends which meant she was all alone. On a normal day of her life she would attend school, go to work, cook, and wash clothing. On an everyday basis people would enter her home because everyone thought it was haunted. She would lock every window, every door, and just to be safe she'd even bring her clothing to school with her in her backpack. One bright and shiny day she left for school early. As she walked she passed a group of teenagers heading into the woods. As she walked she processed what she just saw.

"What's down there that's so important?" She thought to herself as she walked. Wait! "My house!" she screamed. Her house was the only thing down that way. She turned around and sprinted towards the place she called home. When she got there she witnessed a horror that shook her to the core. Someone, probably the leader of the group, outlined her house in oil and threw a match into the slick liquid. She watched as it burned. The cruel laughs made her wake up from her trance. She went up to the buff male that threw the match and pushed him back. She shouted at the top of her lungs, "That was my house you asshole! What the hells wrong with you?"

The guy grabbed her by the wrist and laughed, "I'm sorry darling do you want me to fix it?" With that comment he took her other wrist and pushed her into the fire. Someone from the back of the group made his way to the front. He brought the girl out of the fire and quickly set her away from the group.

"I knew you guys where going to start trouble," his voice was steady with a stern tone and it was easily obvious that he wasn't fawned of the punks standing in front of him. "You guys should leave now."

"Oh ya?" The leader stepped forward and brought his face in front of the guy. It was evident that he had been drinking from his pungent breath. "My names Jack. I just thought you would want to know the name of the man who's gonna kill you." The group of guys behind him gave out an explosion of laughter and shouts of approval telling him to get the job done. Jack took his fist and aimed it at the guys stomach. His sloppy punches were easily blocked and quickly returned by him but harder and quicker. By the pained expressions on Jacks face it was a give in that this guy knew what he was doing. He threw Jack down and he hit the floor with a thud.

"Who's next," the girl watched in astonishment as the guy beat up an entire group of punks about a year older than him. She'd seen these hooligans around school and knew they were seniors ready to screw up their lives but she still felt bad for them, a least until now. Now she wanted them gone. The guy threw punches that gave black eyes, kicks that could probably internally bruise them, and during the process might have even broken some of their bones.

Finally Jack got up after endless defeats and loudly announced, "Let's go guys this punk isn't worth out time!" The large posse gathered there wits and all limped off together over to the school building. The guy, with multiple harmless scratches, hastily went over to the girl.

"I'm sorry about those jerks," he whispered to her as he tried to help her up. "I followed them hear after I saw them get drunk in the parking lot. You can never trust drunk delinquents," he softly laugh but soon stopped. "I'm sorry about your house," he motioned towards the blackened pile of ash that was still lit with some smoldering flames.

"It's ok I didn't care for that house much anyway," she moved a lock of hair out of her face and sighed. "But thank you so much, I'd be toast without you," her eyes were sad with realization that her only home was long gone.

"It's ok," he stuck his hands into his pockets and looked around. "So was this your only home?" He asked.

"Ya my parents died when I was 14 and my guardian left me this year."

"Oh so does that mean your an orphan?" His voice was quiet but comforting. It made her feel safe in his presence.

"Ya I go to high school over there," she pointed towards the high school building. "I'm a sophomore. I wanted to finish school before I visited the orphanages, but I might just have to go anyway. I've visited that place before," she told the guy very seriously. "It's horrible for a child like me. No one and I mean no one adopts a 15 year old."

"I see. So you go to Franklin High? I do to. I'm a junior. So do you have any friends you can stay with?" He asked as he scratched his head.

"No," the girls eyes started to water. "I'm afraid not."

The boy smiled and looked her in the eyes, "meet me here after school today and I'll figure something out for you." He turned to look at the sad frame of a house. It was burnt down to ashes with only a few flickering flames left.

"Thank you," she whispered. "I'll do anything to stay in this town," She gave him a hug then let go quickly. "I almost forgot I'm Sutton!" She stuck out a hand for him to shake.

"I'm Trent. It's nice to meet you," he took her hand and there was a spark.