Chapter Four- Before He Left

The next day Sutton and Trent walked to school together. "So," Trent spoke up, "why'd you get up so early today? School doesn't start until seven."

"It wasn't that early," Sutton explained to Trent.

"Well I consider five am to be early," Trent chuckled and looked at Sutton.

"I hope I didn't wake you," Sutton apologized. "It's just the down side of living alone."

"Oh well you don't have to worry about waking me. I was actually finishing an English report," he admitted. "And about yesterday, I'm sorry my brother was being a jerk he isn't always like that."

"It's alright I'm not upset," and in fact she wasn't. "But I do have a question."

"Ok shoot."

"If you guys only run a coffee shop then how do you pay for that huge house?"

Trent sighed then said, "My parents ran the biggest business in town. They built this house for the owners family and as long as the business stays successful the company pays for our house."

"Wow. I'm sorry if I stirred up bad memories. Here you know what ask me any question you want."

"Ok, who are your friends?"

Sutton smiled sadly, "I have a couple friends, but no best friends."

Trent raised an eyebrow, "Why? I bet your pretty enough to be in any social group you want." Sutton laughed at the compliment.

"Thanks," she blushed. "But actually my best friend for forever moved away when we were 12. She gave me this." Sutton pulled the gold locket she saved form the fire out from beneath her shirt and opened it to reveal a picture of her and another girl. "Her name was Jackie. After she left I never really got another best friend 'cause everyone else already found someone and I was just alone. To make it worse my parents died two years later and I turned into the freak who had friends out of pity. After they died my cousin came here to take care of me. He's about Ritchie's age I guess. His mom died when he was born and his dad committed subside when he was in college. He's my only family. We lived in his dads old house and worked at the same store and I guess you can say things where ok. That's when he told me."

"What? He told you what?" Trent looked at her and she smiled.

"He told me it was time for school!" Sutton laughed as they arrived at Franklin High. "I'm only kidding I'll tell you later."

"Do you promise?"

"I promise," Sutton said as they went their separate ways. During school Sutton noticed that she had exactly four classes with Ethan. Coincidentally those classes were all for smart kids. She figured Ethan must have some brains in that narcissistic head of his. The day went by in a blink of the eye and before she knew it Sutton was heading back to the house. As she walked she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Trent walking beside her. "Hi," she said as they paced together.

"Hello," he smiled. "So how about you finish your story."

Sutton grinned and looked to the sky longingly. "Ah yes. My life story gone wrong," She joked. "So where was I?"

"You ended when he told you something."

"Oh ya, ok. So my cousin left after he told me a secret. He said that he was dangerous. At first I thought he was joking then he told me what he meant. It turns out that he was apart of a gang, and I know what your thinking, and the answer is no. He's not one of those thugs that wear undershirts with tattoos and bandanas. They where the kind of gang who wore suits and smoked cigars and got money from people who owed them. It was kinda like a mafia I guess. But while he was here a gang war irrupted back where he used to live. So, of course, just like everyone else he left. He got me that small house, bought me some new clothes and gave me money. I decided not to get any more things until I moved out of that house though. People raided it religiously, but besides that I guess my life hasn't been that bad." Sutton smiled as her hair ruffled in the breeze that brushed by.

"Wow!" Trent had a blank expression on, dumbstruck at everything he just heard. "You know for someone as young as me your the strongest person I've ever meet."

"Thanks." After that Sutton and Trent walked home in silence, but even in silence they could hear every unspoken word.