Chapter Five- Second Impressions

Sutton sat down on her bed. The floral comforter was plush with silky soft sheets. The walls were painted soft pink with a couple paintings scattered everywhere. Besides the bed was a night stand made of bamboo. In front of her was a desk made of bamboo with a glass top. At the back of the desk was a small TV and beside that stood teen romance novels. When Ritchie first showed Sutton the room she was shocked, but Ritchie explained that their mom was an interior designer. He even showed her other rooms. They were all decked out to match guests of all ages. Sutton went over to her back pack and took out her clothing. She tucked everything neatly into the nightstands drawers except for a raggedy night shirt and pajama shorts. She threw on her new clothing and set the outfit she just wore to the side to be washed later. As she lifted up the comforter there was a gentle knock at the door. "Come in," she said as she stood watching the door.

"Hi," In walked Ethan. He wore a smile on his face and it was hard for Sutton to tell weather it was genuine or fake.

"Hello," she smiled back, unaware of what it might be she was walking into. "So, I thought you weren't going to talk to me. What's with the change of heart." Sutton walked over to her bead and sat down.

"Ya about that. Look I'm sorry about what I did yesterday. I was out of line."

"Really because I thought you hated me," the hostility in her voice was dying down but it was still clearly audible.

"At first I didn't really care, but Trent told me to get to know you."

"Oh, so that's why your here. You know what," Sutton stood up and walked over to him, "I get it if you don't like me, but please I already have enough fake friends as it is!" Her hands flailed while she talked creating a flurry of motion.

"No it's not like that I just had a bad day yesterday and I took it out on you and I'm sorry."

"Really? Then what happened."

"My girlfriend broke up with me," Ethan looked at the floor, his dark curls blocking his eyes.

Sutton walked over and sat on the foot of her bed, "I'm sorry. I guess I made things worse on you then."

"It's ok, but I just want to get to know you. So, tell me about your life." Sutton wasn't the kind of person to take advantage of people. She hated making someone feel sorry for her, but as she finished her pitiful story she couldn't help but cry. "I'm sorry," she whispered while wiping a tear from her eye. "You probably don't want to hear about my problems."

Ethan sighed as he walked over and sat down next to Sutton wrapping one arm around her. "No, it's ok," he squeezed her tight before letting go. "Crying doesn't freak me out like it does other guys. It's ok to let it out sometimes. Someone once told me that the heart is a fragile thing. Once you break it there's no going back. I think crying helps get rid of the pain."

Sutton processed the words he'd just spoken. Everything he said was true. Maybe he was smarter than he lead on. "Wow," she finally whispered. "That's really intelligent. Most guys just like to run for the hills."

"Ya well I guess I'm not like most guys. And I'm sorry about what I said before. I know I can be a real jerk sometimes."

Sutton smiled, "You can say that again." Ethan playfully pushed her and the two laughed as Ritchie and Trent passed Sutton's door outside.

"You should watch out for your girl," Ritchie said quietly. "Because you have competition."

Trent punched him in the arm, "She's not my girl, we're just friends."

Ritchie smirked, "For now, but you just wait. The guy always falls for the girl."