Chapter 3

A few minutes after Tom and Sophie left to gather everyone in the living room, I felt hands poke both of my sides. I squealed in surprise and turned around ready to punch. “Whoa, whoa there tiger! It’s all good it’s just me!”

The mystery hands brought mine down before I could strike. Then I looked at him and punched him in the gut. “God dammit Dylan! You know I hate it when you scare me!”

“My goodness! I forgot how hard you punch!” Dylan, Tom’s older brother rushed out. I laughed at him as he held his stomach and hunched over. When he did so, I could see over him to the happy couple that moved into the kitchen as well. Garrett was looking at us, laughing silently. I smiled softly at the thought of hearing his gracious laughter. When he saw me, he smiled the same in return. I felt myself leaning forwards, wanting to come near and almost did, until Dylan stood up straight again and looked behind him to Garrett. When he turned to me again his face was hard and stern. “Alexis,” he warned. I snapped out of my thoughts of being with Garrett again and looked up to him sadly.

“Don’t even start.” I cut him off before he could speak the words about to leave his mouth. “So, how are you?” Desperately trying to change the subject, I smiled widely up at him.

A throat cleared next to him and I looked over to see a rather short man compared to Dylan. Don’t get me wrong, his muscles and beautiful eyes made him gorgeous, but I like my men tall so he wasn't exactly my type.

Dylan sighed and put a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Alexis, this is Zeek. Zeek, this is one of Tom’s friends, Alexis.”

I smiled at him and shook his extended hand. “Now Dylan, no need to be sarcastic! It’s nice to meet you Zeek.” Then I stepped back and looked at the two. As if something clicked in my head, I made one of those ‘now I get it’ faces. Remembering that Dylan was gay, I asked just that. “Are you two …uh …together?”

“Yes indeed we are so keep your little paws off him you slut,” Dylan joked. I rolled my eyes then smiled widely. “Oh don’t give us those goo-goo eyes, Alexis.”

Ignoring him, I asked my own question. “So how long?”

“Two months this Thursday,” Zeek answered proudly. Dylan’s annoyed expression changed to one of loving. I made an involuntary ‘aw’ when Dylan kissed Zeek’s temple and clapped my hands and bounced.

“You two are so cute together!”

“So were you and Garrett but look where that turned out,” Dylan muttered quietly under his breath. I immediately stopped my happy dance and frowned. Realizing I heard him, Dylan had a sorry expression and tried to take it back.

“No, you’re right.” Thinking of a way to escape, I weakly smiled at Zeek. “Best wishes to you two. I’m glad this big guy finally has someone.” I silently nodded and turned to walk off. I sped walked out of the room, despite Dylan’s pleas for me to stop. I almost laughed when I heard Zeek scolding him. I guess Dylan told him about Garrett and mine’s history.

I walked into the packed living room and spotted Heather on the far side of the room standing alone. Not knowing where the other girls were at the moment I decided to join her. I Garrett's girlfriend dragging him into the room. They stood in a back corner across the room.

"She's so pathetic. I mean does she have any self respect?" I jumped a little when Heather started talking. I was confused as to who she was talking about, if she was even talking to me. When I looked at her I noticed she was looking at Garrett and his friend too.

"What's her story?"

"Pathetic," she laughed. I cracked a smile too and couldn't help the giggle that escaped me. "She's been with him for three months. Everywhere he goes, she's there. She's like his unwanted puppy on a leash." She sighed heavily. "Anyway, she's his longest one."