Chapter 4

The next day I woke up extremely tired. I left Tom and Sophie's at around eleven, and it doesn't help that theres at least a twenty minute drive between our houses. Once I made it home, I still had work to do and bills to pay so by the time I finally went to bed it was around two.

Now, the sound of my alarm clock beeping faster and faster startled me awake. I groaned and turned it off, deciding I shouldn't hit the snooze button for the fourth time.

I took a quick shower and got dressed in a plain pink T-shirt and skinny jeans. I put on my usual light makeup and put my hair up into a messy bun. After I grabbed my purse and slipped on some flats I was out the door by eight.

I made a stop at Dunkin Donuts for some coffee and a bagel on my way to work. Eating on the way there, I managed to multitask by driving and eating.

I opened the shop up when I got to work. Since its still early in the morning and I just opened there isn't much going on. The chairs are still siting on the tables with the seat part resting on the edges an the usual hustle and bustle in the kitchen couldn't be heard. The place is deserted, not a noise around.

I own a diner-like restaurant. Its more of a dive, considering it sits in a secluded area surrounded by popular shops. Not many people know about us, but enough for the place to be earning a good amount of cash. We are definitely becoming more popular too, which is good because that means more money to pay off my loans quicker.

I've always wanted to be a chef, ever since I was a little girl. I'd always play with my easy bake oven and help my mom cook dinner. It was a special bonding time we had together, and even when I got older into my teenage years it never really stopped. We were extremely close, my mom and I. We had a relationship like no other mother and daughter, which was why it hurts so much knowing that she's gone.

At sixteen I got a job at a Red Robin as a dishwasher. I then worked my way up to a hostess and then a waitress. When they had offered me a manager position at eighteen, I politely declined. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to run that place and show off my hard work by becoming the manager. But I didn't want it there. I wanted to run my own restaurant and not just any chain restaurant. My own original place. So I went to college to major in the culinary arts. Then I went back for two years for a degree in business.

Now at the age of 25 I have a place to call my own. I pretty much do whatever job I can. If we have a shortage of waitresses, then I'll do that. If we're really busy and need help cooking, then I'll do that, too. Theres a very small staff because it's a small place and I can't afford to pay too many people. It all depends on the day, really. Most of the time I'm in the back doing paperwork and sorting out the finance, occasionally coming out to greet the customers and ask them how the food is.

Since today is saturday and one of my waiters took the day off, then I'm probably gonna have to help serve.

I started taking the chairs down from the tables and setting things up when my chefs started arriving. The food at my restaurant is all homemade from scratch so it takes some preparing time to make things, hence why they're here so early.

After I had helped the chefs with preparing some of the meals I went into my office in the back of the diner. There is a long hallway which holds the bathrooms, supply closet, and the employee's room where they can store their stuff and clock in. The end of the hallway holds my office. It wasn't anything big, but it wasn't that small, either. I spent most of my afternoon in here. Even threw all the hustle and bustle of the lunch hour.

By dinner time we were packed. It was a saturday night, which meant a lot of customers. I'm usually really busy Friday, Saturday, and Wednesday nights. Wednesdays are pretty popular because of the specials I do. It varies between things like buy one appetizer, get one free, all sandwiches are half price, etcetera.