Chapter 2

[Jade's POV]

"I hope yall remember to stay quiet, not only to hear for zombies but also because they are attracted to noise." Ben continued his monotonous lectures. 

"Umm, Ben I hope you know we've been killing zombies for too long not to know this?" I said beginning to get bored. 

"I'm just making sure you know?"  

As I stood there twirling my hair with my finger, I watched Jordan fiddle with his gun, repeatedly taking in and out the ammo. 

"Are we gonna go today of freaking Christmas?" Jordan commented. 

"Okay, let's go!" Ben said opening the door.

We silently walked out the door watching the others close it behind us. Slowly creeping down the street, I readied myself for any unexpected ambushes because these zombies seemed to get smarter and smarter everyday. Several abandoned cars lined the gray roads. The world was no longer filled with vibrant shades of colors. The grass was no longer a beautiful green, and the sky was now a pale gray. Every time I stepped outside seeing the world was just depressing. 

"Isn't that the gas station we're heading to?" Jordan asked pointing to the large dull, green sign that reached to the sky. Several letters seemed to have disappeared from the worthless sign.

"Yeah, now shhhh." 

Approaching the now deserted building, we slowly closed in on the front door. 

The silence of the vacant gas station broke as a loud shrill came from inside the gas station. Picking up our pace, we quickly ran to the sound of the voice. 

The noise had ended as a gun shot fought its way to my eardrum. Covering my ears running down several aisles, we finally saw the reason of such commotion. A zombie had obviously found it's way into the station attacking what seemed a little girl luckily accompanied by her big brother. 

Clinging to her arm, I realized she had been bitten. I imagined the disease quickly spreading from her arm throughout her body, quickly running toward her brain destroying almost everything that ever made her human. 

"I could've stopped....," the boy cried falling to his knees. I grasped the bag that clipped to my side pulling out bandages preparing to rap the innocent little girls wound.

"How did it get in here?" Benjamin asked, "They usually don't roam by their selves. If one of them came it has to be more. Jade, Jordan! Stay on your toes." 

"Alright," we said in unison. 

Ben motioned us the way the guy pointed to the back door of the building. We cautiously crept through back of the gas station, which was awkwardly bigger than most. I held my pistol ready to aim it at the nearest zombie forehead. Passing through different corridors, I stopped. 

"Did you guys hear that?" I asked. 

"Hear what?" Jordan asked. 

"That door squeak." 

"What......?" Ben barely had time to finish his sentence before they realized I wasn't paranoid. 

Immediately, a pack zombies came bursting in through the back door. I miss the days when the zombie's brains were completely fried, but nowadays they're faster and slightly smarter. They quickly limped in, the sight of their decayed flesh missing in several spots of their face would sometimes frightened me. Despite my fear, I drew my gun aiming it at the first zombie. Bang! There goes one. 

I was followed by several shots coming from Ben and Jordan behind me; the loud shots peirced my ears. Zombies dropped to the floor one by one pushing us back towards the door we entered through. Dark splotches of blood painted the bare walls, as the bullets flew through their heads. 

"Jade, I'm out!" I heard Jordan yell. Immediately, I turned my head looking in his direction. I reached in my back pocket, but before I could pull out a cartridge I was shoved to the ground. 

Squirming under the zombies weight, it roared and roared as it had several attempts to dig into my flesh. It's decayed teeth took several attempts to come in contact with me, but I had lived this long and wasn't going to give up. 

"Ben!" I screamed.  

I heard the shot fired. Covering my face, I could feel the insides of it's brains exploding on my arms. Slinging the filth off of me, I stood up off the ground. 

"Thanks, Ben." I said feeling filthy as ever. "Umm, here goes that cartridge that almost cost me my life."  

Tossing the cartridge to Jordan, I walked up to the entrance that the zombies intelligently found and completely shut it, ensuring that we won't have any more surprises. 

"Excuse me, you have two options. One, kill your sister or two, leave her here to die." Jordan said to the boy who laid there holding his sister in his arms." 

"You can kill her." he quietly mumbled as he continued sobbing. "Just make sure I don't see it." 

"Okay." Ben responded.

I escorted the boy out of the room standing outside of the door waiting. Seconds passed, I watched the boy weep into hands. 

Bang!!!!

"It's all my fault!" he uttered in between sobs.