Chapter 16: California Storms

"My parents were out fishing celebrating because my mom had just returned from another trip to Iraq. She was apart of the US Army. Nothing like this had ever happened. It was the day the biggest storm in California history would occur. My parents knew that that's when the fish would be out and about so they decided to go anyways." I started to tear up.

"Hey look. You don't have to." Daniel started.

I continued anyways, "They were supposed to be home already but they never showed. I got a knock on my door telling me they had been lost at sea. Apparently their boat was wrecked on a a group of rocks. The boat was found but my parents weren't. It was only about 5 miles from shore. I was only 13 when it happened. I ended up staying with my grandparents until I could move out."

"Amanda, I'm so sorry."

"Don't be it's not your fault. But that's why I like to come here." I took a deep breath. "When the waves are really calm.... I feel like its my parents. I like to come here and just talk to them."

"I know they're really proud of you, Amanda."

"I hope so. During those 13 years all they ever said was 'you're gonna be really big someday' or 'I can't wait till the day you get into college.' I made it my goal in life to be an honors student and do what my parents wanted me to."

"I know they're watching over you everyday. They're walking with you everyday you go to college."

"My uh, my mom gave me this," I said revealing the bracelet on my arm, "It was when she was leaving for two years to fight in Iraq when I was 7. She said 'No matter what, when you wear this, I will always be with you.' I keep it on at all times." I said getting teary eyed.

"Hey look, I know she's proud of you, Amanda. Both of them."

"I hope so."

"I know so." He said bringing me close to him, wrapping his arm around me.

-----
***i apologize for how short this was. I just needed a single chapter to explain her parents.