Chapter 23

Joe's POV:

"Are you alright Sqaishey?" I leaned down, carefully raising her up to where she was laying against me.

She nodded. "I'm just a bit sore, but I think I was more scared than anything."

Just then, one of the police officers made his way over to us.

"Are you alright, madam?" Sqaishey nodded. The officer examined her, doubt flooding his gaze.

"Well, maybe you should get checked out. Just in case. You two can come with us." The officer led us to a younger woman. I peered out the door, watching the other two policemen drive away.

I carefully took hold of Sqaishey's hand. She leaned her head on my shoulder.

~time skip~

Joe's POV:

As we neared the hospital, Sqaishey began to calm down slightly. She wasn't shaking anymore and she had stopped crying when the police officers found us.

I wanted to know everything that happened, but I wasn't going to bring it up now. The subject was too sensitive. I was entirely angry with her father for doing this, it was ridiculous. He laid hands on his own child! 

We got her a check-up, and we went over to the waiting rooms and sat. I pulled out my phone. I had a bunch of missed texts and calls from Amy and squid.

Not too long after, Sqaishey was called into the room. I followed, the police officers being courteous enough to at least stay around to hear the news.

After she got checked out, it turned out she had some bruising on her arms and shoulders and a bruise was forming on the left side of her face.

I was relieved. It wasn't too major. As we exited, we told the police officers about the news. They nodded.

"Hon, I know you probably wouldn't want to talk about it, but we do need to know some more details about what exactly happened so that way we can figure out what to charge your father for when we find him and all that."

The woman helped Sqaishey sit down, placing her hand on her knee.

Sqaishey, to my surprise, didn't tear up at the question. She simply nodded and proceeded to answer the questions that the officer asked.

"What was that man's relation to you? Biological father or stepfather?"

"He was my biological father." She fidgeted with her bracelet.

The officers exchanged a look, then continued.

"What- it may be too broad of a question but what exactly, happened?"

Sqaishey was silent for a moment. "My father has always been on the abusive side, drinking didn't help him much. I am 19, I moved out with the consent of my mother, who is my other guardian. We wanted to go somewhere where he couldn't find us, so she moved when I moved. I stayed with my boyfriend for roughly a month, and when I came home, my father was there after I got off work."

They nodded. The man continued. "Thank you sweetheart for telling us. We will do our best to figure out this case. But for the time being, I would suggest not going back to your home, just in case he may try returning. Maybe move in with a friend or family member until things calm down."

Sqaishey nodded. The police officers stood then and wished us goodbye.

Just then, my phone started to vibrate.