Leslie (a teaser)

I watched helplessly and angry as Rawr cried and finally let all she had done out. I hated the resistance for doing that to her! How could they? She was so young and beautiful. Anger surged through me. I wanted to hit someone. All I wanted to do was turn and run. If I did that it would give her the impression she disgusted me. Instead I told her I would be with her no matter what. When she asked I become a part of what they would have her do I told her I would not revealing that I had been out and this would drag me back in.

Before tonight and arriving here I had convinced myself my old childhood feelings for her were gone. Back home everyone had finally stopped asking about her. Then there was Lilly-Ann. How would she feel if she knew? She thought I was on a trip to find my cousin. Why was I here? Did I still love Arura? Why was it so important that I'd had to learn about the knife? Clearly, it brought up painful memories for both of us. It had made Arura look at her life differently which I didn’t want her to do, I wanted her to feel happy, after how I acted before I doubted I was a part of her future. I was just someone there to hurt her farther. When she asked again if I was going to be there and be trusted and if I was sure I nodded.

"Arura, I am doing this because it's what's right. Let's go back. You need to sleep; tomorrow will be a stressful day."  I told her trying to not sound like I was terrified of even living. With my left hand I took hers and led her slowly to her house. All the while fingering what was in my right pocket.

"HALT!" The order came from a solider in front of us. "Papers, NOW" I noticed Arura shake as she dug in her bag for hers. He swung his flashlight over me as I reached into my back pocket producing my own papers. Arura finally got her papers out of her bag when he moved the light to her. He stared at her studying her face before quickly dropping the light and signing her to put her papers away.

"OH! Anna! I'm so sorry! I didn't know it was you! I swear!" I looked at Rawr confused. I saw that she grinned in my direction before turning to flirt with him. OH she made me angry! She was mine! Why was she flirting with him, especially one of the enemies?

"You should be" She lightly chastened him; she made her face into a mock look of anger.

"I just didn't know you had a male friend" He said glaring at me. It was obvious this stranger had a thing for Arura. It hurt me badly deep inside. Why was I feeling this anger well up inside of me? She wasn’t mine anymore, and again touching the item in my right pocket I wasn’t hers.

"Oh, you know Jack I got to keep myself busy these days, I get bored sitting around"

He turned to me, "What's your name?" He asked grouchily. 

"His name is Nathan" Arura quickly interjected for me.

"I want to hear it from him." I could tell if he thought there was a chance I had lied to Arura he would kill me. I had no doubt in my mind he would shoot me on the spot.

"My name is Nathan. Nathan Dob" He looked at me. I knew he was praying there was a way he could find proof of my identity not being Nathan Dob without seeming rude to Arura. Lucky for me the papers I held in my hand said Nathan Dob. My old name from when I had run with the resistance.

 "Alright then, you take Anna home now son. It's not proper for a young woman to be out this late" Arura laughed and smiled at him devilishly.

"Since when do I do the proper thing?" As she teased him with those words my heart felt like it was falling from a cliff. I turned and without touching her, walked to her home. My heart was confused. What could I do? Did I love Arura still?