"Glad to know I have this effect on you."

Justin

“It’s getting dark.” Brooklyn said looking outside at the darkening sky before glancing at the golden Casio on her wrist.

“What time is it?” I asked, getting ready to leave.

“8 pm.” She informed.

I can’t believe we’ve been talking here for more than two hours. To be honest, I haven’t had a bad time. Brooklyn is a nice person to hang around with when she doesn’t decide to be nosey, of course.

“I should be heading home.” I stood up, gathering my things. It’s not like I have a curfew and even if I had it it’s still early, but my mom is probably home already and she needs my help with my siblings.

“Yeah, me too.” She stood up and we made our way to the door. The café was almost closing, only a few people were still scattered around in the tables.

The temperature had dropped considerably so I zipped my jacket up. Brooklyn got a black scarf from her purse and tied it loosely around her neck.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you on Monday.” I said awkwardly, holding the strap of the guitar on my shoulder with one hand while the other was inside my jeans’ pocket.

“Are you gonna take the subway with all that stuff on you?” She asked gesturing to my bags with her hands with a look of disbelief.

“I wanted to go flying but I forgot my Superman cloak at home.” I chuckled sarcastically causing her to giggle cutely. Wait what? Forgot I said that. The word cute isn’t in my vocabulary.

“You’re so silly.” She smacked my arm playfully still laughing.

For a moment our eyes met and her smile faded, leaving her lips parted. I found myself staring until she spoke snapping us both from the stare.

“I could give you a ride, you know. I live just a couple of blocks away from here.” She jabbed a finger behind her at a huge avenue where the colorful lights of the shops and restaurants were already turned on, giving the city its lively vibe.

“Nah, it’s okay. I don’t mind going by subway.” I said, already walking to the nearest station. It would probably take me 45 minutes to get home. I inwardly groaned at the thought.

“I don’t mind taking you either. I’m kind of growing fond of your neighborhood.” She cracked an ironic smile, which made me chuckle.

“You sure?” I asked, lifting one eyebrow.

“Hmm.” She murmured, curling her lips inside her mouth. “This way.” She led me through the long avenue. I felt out of place, like I could never belong to a zone like this.

“Must be pretty cool living here huh?” I asked to make some conversation.

“It’s not bad. I like it.” She shrugged. “But I bet it’s not half as exciting as your street.” She looked at me but turned her gaze away before something like what happened before could be repeated.

I like how she gets shy. She’s not like the rest of girls I know. She’s not flirting all the time and throwing herself at me like most always do. She’s clearly a daddy’s girl but she is not judgmental or snobby. She may be posh and a little too worried about banal things like fashion or makeup or expensive stuff but I can’t blame her for that. If I was rich I would probably have 10 cars and a huge collection of caps and sneakers.

“I can guarantee you that.” I chuckled and she laughed softly, tucking her bang behind her ear. I’ve noticed she does that a lot.

We kept walking, talking about some unimportant things and I was grateful that she didn’t bring the subject of my ‘jobs’ up again. Honestly, she’s way too innocent if she doesn’t have a clue about what I do but I prefer it to remain like that. After all, I’ve only known her for like 3 weeks and she most likely knows nothing about drugs and that stuff.