"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."

• Dedicated to Him

Brooklyn

"I'm dating a college girl," Justin said in a suggestive tone, lifting me off my feet in his arms.

I took off my graduation cap and smiled up at him when he put me down. "I'm not in college yet."

"Technicalities."

It had been a month since Justin and I's reconciliation. It had been harder at first, when Justin still had to be at the hospital and couldn't go out much, and I was up to my eyes in school work. But we worked it up from there, taking one step at a time. Justin had been released from the hospital only a week later, and had immediately started searching for a job. The hospital bills had left his family with little money to spare—even though they'd used Jeremy's money—and he no longer had a car.

"How's the job hunting going?" I asked, fanning my blue gown over my dress. The sun was scorching hot for early June, and since the whole ceremony had been out in the school courtyard I was starting to sweat.

"I have an interview on Monday for a vacant as a basketball coach for kids," he replied, digging his hands in the pockets of his slacks. He'd dressed up for the occasion: a light blue button-down and navy blue dress pants with his favorite black high-tops. His hair needed a trim again because it was constantly flopping on his eyes. But he looked so damn good I was having a hard time keeping my hands to myself.

"That sounds good." I took his arm to walk over to a bench. The heels I was wearing were terrific, both in the good and the bad sense. They were killing my feet already, and the ground here was cobblestone so I was done with standing up. "What happened with the card I gave you? Did you call Richard?"

I knew when Justin looked away trying not to laugh that he hadn't. I hit his arm. "Justin! The wage is great and you would have fun."

"Brooklyn." His tone was serious, letting me know he was bothered for having to tell me this once again. "I appreciate you and your mother's support, but I still don't wanna spend all summer modeling posh clothes for a photographer that would probably make me pose half naked."

"Oh, please." I feigned indignation. "If it was a woman, you wouldn't complain."

"That's because I don't mind women ogling me."

I hit him again.

"I really think this one could work, though," he said, referring to the basketball coach vacancy he had mentioned before. "I like basketball and kids, and I'm good with both. Besides, I would still have enough free time to spend with you and my family."

I put my head on his shoulder. "That's true." I'd just turned my head to kiss his cheek when I saw my brother Ryan out of the corner of my eye.

I was up and nearly tackling him in a heartbeat. I hadn't seen Ryan in months, and considering how much our relationship had improved since then, I freaking missed him.

"Whoa," he laughed, keeping me from falling on top of him. "I'm glad to see you, too, sis."

"When did you come?" I asked, pulling away. "I thought you wouldn't be able to make it?" My tone went up in the end accusingly.

"I lied. I wanted to surprise you." He gave me his all-American-boy grin and I couldn't stay mad.

"I'm glad you're here," I said, hugging him again. Justin had stood up and was looking at a pretty brunette in a white cocktail dress that had turned up there out of the blue. He had one arm around my waist as he nodded at my brother.

"Justin," Ryan said, nodding back. I almost rolled my eyes at their aloofness. They would have to drop that grudge they had over each other at some point.