thirty eight ~

• (Lucy's POV) •

Well, here I am. The day of the wedding. I was getting ready in my dressing room, two of my maids helping me with my dress and pinning up my hair.

Once I was ready, I was told to sit patiently until the carriage got here to take me to the church. As I was sitting, staring into the mirror, my mother walked in.

"I can't believe my little girl is getting married!" She squealed. "I'm so happy!"
"I am too mother." I lied, standing up and plastering a fake smile on my face.

She gave me a hug, then stepped away and straightened out my dress.
"I'm going to find out why the carriage is so late!" She huffed, walking away.

I sighed and sat back in my chair. But oh noooo, not over yet.

"Lu-chan?" It was Levy. She opened the door and rushed in, giving me a hug.

"Oh Lu-chan," She sighed. "You've got yourself in a sticky situation here."
"Levy what do I do?" I was leaning on her shoulder in an embrace. She didn't reply for a while, but then said.
"I don't know."

There was a pause.

"Maybe.... Maybe you could try and enjoy yourself, instead of living in misery."
"What do you mean by that?"
"You don't have to love Sting, you could just be, I dunno, friends..? You know...."
"No. I'm sorry Levy-chan, but I don't know." I sighed.

"I just don't know anymore."

"I-I have to go." She stuttered, leaving me alone.

Not long now.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. But not any old knock, it was a certain pattern I'd heard ever since I was 13.

"Natsu." I said. He opened the door and walked in, closing it behind him.

We stood in silence, staring at each other for a while. I couldn't seem to draw my attention away from his beautiful onyx eyes.

"Are you going to tell him?" He asked me.
"Well, he'll find out sooner or later." I replied.
"He's gonna be pissed at you if you don't tell him." He said.

"How am I supposed to say it though? It's not the type of thing you randomly bring up in a conversation."
"You're right." Natsu sighed.

"Why did we Luce?" He asked. "I told you we shouldn't of, and he's going to find out, and-"
"Calm down." I walked over and smiled at him. "It was my idea, I'll take the blame."

"That's what I'm worried about." He held my shoulders and looked at the floor. "I don't want you to take the blame. If he finds out what we did, what I did, who knows what he'll do."

"And I won't be there to protect you."

"Natsu." I said his name more boldly this time, "I told you, I'll be perfectly fine. I'm not going to die, and I won't get hurt."

Physically, that is. In reality I'm dying emotionally.

There was another silence, but then Natsu wrapped his arms around me.

(A/N): Fun fact. This picture^ inspired me to write this story.

"I guess this will be the last time I get to hold you like this..." He mumbled, I felt tears threatening to spill.

"Will you visit?" I asked.
"I won't be allowed in." He sighed. I felt warm droplets of water land on my shoulder. "I doubt Sting would let me see you."

"D-don't leave me... Please..." I cried, hugging him tight. "I don't want you to go."
"Shhh.." He smiled, releasing his hold on me and looking me in the eye.

"Don't cry," Natsu smiled. "You look a lot prettier with a big smile on your face." He wiped my tears, and I put on a smile for him.
"There we go!" He laughed, and I laughed too.

"Now, I want you to enjoy your life with Sting." He told me. "Even if you don't love him, don't live your life crying every day because of me."
"But I'll miss you." I whined.

"Don't worry, I won't leave. I'll always be there."

And then he walked off.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

I arrived at the church and stood outside. Thousands of people had gathered to witness the wedding, which did nothing for my nerves.

"Lucy, are you ready?" My mother asked. She was going to walk me down the aisle, since my father wasn't exactly cut out for it.

We opened the doors and the music began to play. As I walked down the aisle I saw the eyes of thousands of people staring in awe at me.

Then I saw Sting.

He was wearing a white tux with a pale yellow tie. His blue eyes were fixed on mine, a smile covering his face.

I got to the end of the aisle and stood next to Sting. The vicar, which was apparently Capricorn, began to read some boring poem.

"Sting Eucliffe, do you take Lucy Heartfilia to be your lawful wedded wife?" Capricorn asked.
"I do." Sting stated. Capricorn then turned to me.
"Lucy Heartfilia, do you take Sting Eucliffe to be your lawful wedded husband?"

"I do."

"I pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

As I placed a gentle kiss on Sting's lips, I opened my eyes slightly to see everyone cheering and clapping

But in the corner, I saw Natsu. His bangs were covering his eyes, like he was about to cry, but then he walked out.

He left me.

Word Count- 917