Chapter 5 〰The Support〰

Jake

"Alrighty then. She has to go," I said, grabbing Charity and carrying her.

"Wait, what are you---" she yelled.

But I quickly ran off, leaving Chris and Taylor alone.

I didn't want Charity to get involved with them because she would surely do something to prevent it.

Why am I doing this? Don't I like Taylor?

I do. Ever since she came up to me and spoke to me when I was alone, I've liked her.

That's when I noticed Chris looking at her the same way I looked at her. And I decided to help him.

Why? Simply because I have no chance with Taylor. Because I don't deserve her. Nevertheless, I still like her.

Then why Chris? He's everyone's bad boy. He's the one who's dated almost every girl in school.

But he's the one who will make her happy. And that's what I want.

Why do I think that? Because he's different. He's the opposite. You know the saying, Opposites Attract.

But if I do have a chance, I'll take it.

"Hey, what's the big deal?" Charity asked me, looking up at me angrily after I put her down.

"You'll get in their way," I said simply.

"Wha---" Charity said, looking offended since I causually told her the harsh truth.

"Look," she started, angry again," I don't know why you're friends with Chris, but he's not a good guy. You don't know what he's like. I don't want Taylor to get involved with him and be taken advantage of".

"Don't worry," I said," Chris is different with Taylor. He's serious about her".

Charity shook her head," No. Chris isn't a guy who's serious over any girl".

I stared at her. She can't understand. She only thinks of him the way she used to know him. Not like I know him that much, but I know him just enough.

"Are you jealous?" I asked.

"W-what?" She asked, surprised again, " what makes you think that? I'm protecting my friend!"

"So, are you?" I asked again.

She looked away, biting her lip and looking guilty. Then she slowly nodded her head. " Just a bit," she said," because, I really loved him".

I quietly stared at her. She still had some feelings left for him.

"If it makes you feel any better," I said, looking away and scratching my head," I like Taylor".

From the corner of my eye I saw Charity immediately look at me, her eyes wide with surprise," you do?"

I nodded like it didn't matter much.

"Well... wow," she said, looking at me with a worried face.

I ignored her. I didn't want any sympathy. That was what I chose.

"Looks like we're the same then, huh?" She said, sighing and walking back.

"Maybe," I said vaguely, walking with her.

"Yeah, we are," she confirmed," so what are we gonna' do?"

"I'm supporting him, for now," I said," I'm the support... You can do whatever you want to now since I explained everything".

"Hmm...." she said, thinking about it.

Then we saw the nurse's room a few feet away. We went over and slowly peeked inside.

"Thanks," Chris told Taylor, getting up from his chair, a gauze plastered on to his head.

"No problem," Taylor said, smiling and putting the things away.

Chris just stood there, watching her put the things away. He looked like he was thinking really hard about something.

"I think he's trying to figure out whether he should make a move or not," I whispered to Charity.

She looked at me, surprised, and whispered," You're right. If it was some other girl he would've made a move already! We should stop him!"

Then Charity and I tried to grab his attention towards the door. We waved and made silent choking noises until he finally looked. We stared at him and then shook our heads, making an "X" sign with our hands to let him know.

He looked at us as if asking Don't make a move, then? Looking a bit confused and frustrated.

We nodded and quickly left. Hoping for the best.

While we were walking, Charity smiled and said," You're right. He does seem different with Taylor". Then looked away as if she was hurt.

Then after a few more seconds she looked happy and normal again," I'll give him a chance," she said," but I want to help you, too".

"I'm fine," I said.

"I insist!" She insisted.

"I'm fine," I said again, this time smiling at her.

She stared at me, her cheeks turning slightly red before she immediately looked away and croaked," Okay then".

Then we split up. She waved at me, smiling comfortably. I waved back and walked away to my locker.

I grabbed my books and headed to class as the bell rang.

***

"Parker, are you listening?" Miss Angelina asked Chris. He didn't seem to be listening. He was off in his own world.

"Mister Parker!" She yelled.

"What?" Chris asked her, clearly annoyed.

"You will do well to listen in class, mister Parker," she warned, her face undeniably angry," you might have got away with the incident last period but you won't get away if I complain to the principal".

Chris made an annoyed sound and looked away.

Then Miss Angelina exploded with anger. But before she could say anything more, the bell rang.

"You won't get away next time," she growled, scowling at Chris, while everyone took their books and walked out.

Chris picked his books rather lazily so his friends left before him, so did the teacher.

I walked towards him with my books and walked beside him.

"Talk about being bad with teachers," I said.

"She's a volcano," Chris said, distracted.

"What's up with you, man?" I asked.

He suddenly looked at me desperately," Dude... I think Taylor friendzoned me,"

"Seriously?" I asked," that does sound like Taylor," I admitted.

"What am I gonna' do, man?"He asked, looking at the ground, depressed.

"Ask her best friend," I suggested.

"You mean Charity? My ex?" Chris asked, looking half annoyed and the other half; uncomfortable.

"If you want Taylor, then she's your best shot," I said.

Chris thought about it. And then he said," What's the harm. She'll only flip me off and stab me with a pen. That's nothing".