Part Fifty-Five

Hello everyone! It had been far, far too long. I hate that i'm gone for a while, and then i have to come back with a little sad news...

This is the last part. 

I know, I know. It's sad. But I left the story in a place where I could use Mari in other things, like I do. I apologize, because I'm terrible at endings, and it's so sad to see this one go. 

Thank you to all of you who've been there since the beginning. And remember, just because this one is over, doesn't mean that you can't read my other stories! I have another finished one with about 225k reads on it, that people seemed to like, and I'm thinking of starting a new one to add to the list of things i have to be constantly writing. 

I love all of you, please stay in touch. (Via instagram: @pierce.the.julian@k.a.n.e.k.i_k.u.n

Azure.

Mari's body trembled as it began to revert back to normal. She stared at Arachne, her hands shaking. "Give... give her back." Mari said, her teeth turning back to normal teeth.

Her friends were about ten feet behind her and they watched, Kidd looking as if he wanted to run forward. It was as if the room was holding it's breath, the shadows waiting for something and watching carefully to see what was going to happen.

Arachne laughed a little, hiding her sly smile behind her hand. "Oh, dear. You actually think I was going to give her back if you came? No, no, no." she said. Kidd made an enraged noise and Stein held him back. Arachne's eyes were bright as she looked over Mari's frail body. "What could you ever give me?"

Arachne held out her hand, a small, flickering blue soul appearing in her palm. It almost looked as if different shades of red and purple were fading in and out from it. She smiled at Mari's black eyes, which had seemed to grow hopeful through her tears that had started flowing. Arachne closed her palm around the soul, and after a split second, she smushed it between her fingertips, the soul snuffing out.

Mari stared at Arachne's hand, her palm opening to show nothing but empty space. The room had gone into a state beyond silent, and Mari fell to her knees. Her tears had stopped, but now her hands were shaking.

Arachne just started laughing, holding her body with her pale hands. "Your faces!" she said, her laughter feeling like it was tearing into Mari's heart. "Did all of you really think that I would give the child's soul back? No!" she said, moving her hand in front of her face and black magic gathered together and formed a fan, covering half of Arachne's face. "You really are stupid." She said.

Mari looked up at her, staying completely still. She'd stopped crying, her black eyes looking dead. She'd lost everything. Again. She looked down at her right hand, watching her fingers grow longer. They grew past the point that her claws usually did, and she watched as it elongated into a claymore blade. She felt her throat close as she looked at the blade. It had been years, even before she had been asleep for all those years, since her body had transformed to her actual weapon form. For the longest time it had just been this deformed recollection of what she had been.

She looked up at Arachne, the woman distracted by laughing at her friends shocked faces. Mari felt a quiet pulse of magic run over her, too quiet for even the powerful witch to sense. It was simple. It wouldn't make everyone blind to Mari's existence.

At lightning speed, Mari move forward faster than anyone could ever track, and slashed her arm out at Arachne. The claymore blade seemed to extended farther than it ever had, and sliced into the witches neck.