Chapter 11: Performing Tahara (needs fmting)

The prohibition on music and parties at least meant that there would be less noise during The Three Weeks, which was a relief for Naamah. Mike, on the other hand, rather than mourning the destruction of the second Temple, mourned the lack of air conditioning. At least they were saving on electric bills.

Naamah was glad that the 4th of July had fallen just before the start of the Three Weeks, since she had been in no mood to argue with Mike about the importance of not holding a backyard barbecue during the traditional period when Jews remember the humiliating forced end of sacrifices by the Romans. The sticky weather had increased Mike's irritation with Naamah's insistence on trying the frum lifestyle.

-Just until the High Holidays. If you really can't stand it, then I will go back to the Reform way of doing things.

-You mean the normal way of doing things. It's the crazies who are not normal.

-Mike, would you please stop calling them that? They are just doing what they think is right by Halachah.

-Their idea of Halachah is crazy! Frum women are almost as restricted as women in Iran under the Ayatolah Khomeini! Have you been to Mea Shearim, have you been to Crown Heights?

Naamah hesitated, looking down at her feet. She was pretty sure that Mea Shearim was a very frum neighborhood in Jerusalem, but had never been to Crown Heights. This part of Jewish culture had escaped her.

-Nu?

-No, you might be right. I have heard about a bus stop being burned down in Jerusalem, and that there are a lot of well, opposing sects in Crown Heights.

-That's one way to put it. You'd better be careful before you go off wanting to join the frummies. They don't let their women do anything but have babies. At least in Reform Judaism you get to think about what you do. Not them. It's all what their Rebbi says.

-But I'm not following a Rebbi! Not all frummies are chasidim, Mike!

The look Mike had shot her said that he did not think any of her opinions on the Jewish community held water, so she decided to end the conversation.

-I need to run up to Seven Mile Market for some eggs, do you want anything while I am out?

-Yeah, an appointment to have your head examined, you'll go right past an Ericksonian psychoanalyst on your way up there!

-Your mother was an Ericksonian psychoanalyst, Mike. Where have you seen this office?

-There's a big sign up in the front yard, big house with a huge old oak tree a couple of blocks before you get to Seven Mile Market, how have you missed it? And my mother's retired-

Fortunately, the phone rang. How am I supposed to deal with my issues and his at the same time? She really missed Marie, no matter how much Mike hated her. She picked up the phone with a sigh.

-Hello?

-Hello, this is Ari Levi.

-Oh, Hi Ari, how are you?

-Fine, fine, Baruch HaShem. And you?

-Fine, Baruch HaShem, thank you, what can I do for you, Ari?

-Well you know Mrs. Kahn, olav ha shalom, just passed yesterday, no?

-Ah, no, I hadn't heard, I'm sorry. May you be comforted...

-No, no, I'm not part of the family. I'm coordinating the shomerim, and since you are on this list of late-night guardians, and we are a bit short for the rotation, so I was wondering if you would have time to be a shomeret for 4 hours tonight, the 8-midnight watch? The funeral home is just down the street.