The Janitor's Closet

The group exited the classroom, confusion and fear crossing their features. Nothing made sense to them anymore. The notes, the voices, the classrooms. What did it all mean? How come the numbers of the classrooms began in the 600's and not with 1?
These were just a few questions between the millions that were swimming in each of their heads.

As they walked down the hall, they looked for the next room number.
Number 658.

Then, the voices began whispering again, shaking all of them back to reality.

Run.
Tick-Tock.

More giggles and hisses. But, this time, another sound reached their ears. It was some sort of scratching noise. They glanced at their surroundings, looking for the source of the sound.

"Where is it coming from?" Adam asked, clenching and unclenching his fists.

"I don't know, but it's not far away," Connor answered, his eyes narrowed in to thin slits.

Aurora accidently tripped over her feet, her body shifting slightly to the left. As she moved closer to the lockers, the sounds began getting louder and she widened her eyes in realization.

"Guys, I think I know where they're coming from," she said.

Everyone stopped and looked at her expectantly, waiting for an answer. She pointed at the lockers around them.

"Something's in the lockers," she said, looking at the lockers.

Tony stepped closer to one of the lockers and knocked on it. The locker's door bulged outwards and a shrieking sound came from the inside. Tony stepped back slowly.

"Let's keep moving. I don't want to know what's inside of them," Tony said, going back to the group as they made their way down the hall again.

When they found the room number 658, none of them expected what was sitting in front of their eyes.
In front of them, was just a door. Splintered and stained in a faded crimson colour.

"Is this supposed to be a storage room or something?" Tony asked, cocking his head to the side.

Sarah shrugged her shoulders and put her hand on the doorknob, "only one way to find out."
She turned the knob and pushed the door inwards, revealing what was inside.

Almost immediately, the smell of blood wafted out from the inside of the room, filling their noses with the rotten, putrid smell.

Brooke began to cough, "what is-" cough, "that-" cough, cough, "smell?"

Adam shuddered and spoke up, "it smells like blood."

It smelled if more than just blood, though none of them wanted to acknowledge it.
It smelled of blood and dead roses.

Sarah began to walk inside, when suddenly, Oliver gripped her arm and yanked her back, "what do you think you're doing?" He asked her.

She looked up at him, "wasn't it clear? I was going inside," she retorted, annoyed by his actions.

He looked at her, face contorted into one of confusion and alertness, "why would you that? It smells as if something, or someone, died in there."

Sarah scoffed, "don't be stupid, what could have possibly died in a janitor's closet?"

Everyone kept quiet as the question hang in the air. Adam shuddered again.

Sarah ripped her arm from his grasp and went back inside, "whatever. Anybody coming?"

They all started going inside, all except Oliver.
"I'll stay out here. I don't trust these lockers." Oliver said, glaring at the rows of rusted lockers.

Inside the foul smelling room, was everything that should be in a janitor's closet. Only, this looked like it hadn't been touched in over a century.
There wasn't much dust, seeming as if it hadn't been opened in a long time, or much to see. The room was also rather dark, making it hard for them to identify the old, wooden mop and rusted bucket in the corner. It looked as if something was inside the bucket, but they couldn't be sure. There were metal shelves filled with toppled-over bottles and rags which outlined the square-shaped room.

Aurora pinched her nose, looking around, before speaking in a nasaly voice, "where is this smell coming from? I don't see...blood, anywhere."

Connor looked up and saw a light. He looked on the walls and found a half-broken switch. He turned the light on.

Each and every one of them turned pale as the room became illuminated.
The entire room, was covered in a thick, sticky layer of blood and the walls were stained with smudged handprints and big blotches of crimson.

Brooke and Aurora held each other tightly, sobbing softly into each other's shoulders. Adam looked at the bucket in the corner and noticed a pile of bones sitting inside.

On the wall, right above the shelves, the following was written:

La la la la
A taste for blood, won't hold them back.
See their faces in the windows?
There's creatures in the night to haunt you.
Run.
La la la la.

Just as they all read this, Oliver popped his head inside, "hey, how come you guys are so quiet..." His voice faded away as he looked at the room. Blood. So much blood. Even the rags were completely covered in blood. It looked as if someone tried to wipe it away with them.

I think I'm gonna be sick. Oliver thought, holding his stomach as everything swirled in his mind. He then noticed everyone looking up towards something. He saw their blood-drained faces, the fear, the trickles of sweat dripping down their faces.
He looked up and his stomach dropped. He turned around and let out all the contents of his stomach, onto the tiled floor.

This seemed to break everyone for their lost dazes, directing their attention towards a hunched over Oliver.

Everyone rushed to his aid, asking if he was alright.

The whispers and hisses began again. Only this time, they seemed to warn them from something, they're panicked cries echoing in the empty hallway. They all ignored them, their minds focused solely on Oliver.

Then, the noises stopped altogether as the bucket inside the closet was kicked over, spilling blood, flesh and bone onto the tiles.

These didn't look ancient and old, but the contrary.
These looked fresh.