Chapter 2: Not a Game

In half an hour, the bus stopped on the road next to the forest path to the mountain. It was going to be a long hike. We were going to camp on the mountain, for a couple of days. But, we have to camp on the east side, because the west side is illegal to step on, to 'preserve local wildlife' or some other shit story.

I packed up, and stepped out the bus. When everyone was off, the bus driver said " Thank you for riding The New Mexico Express, blah blah blah. Your credit card will be charged within the hour and etc." He then closed the doors and drove of.

" Where is the closest hotel?" Brad asked, looking expectant.

" We're in the New Mexico Desert you dipshit. The closest town is fifty miles from here" Becca said, crossing her arms." Sometimes I wonder if you even have a brain."

Brad narrowed his eyes and said, "What the fuck's a dipshit"
Becca closed her eyes and huffed" I'm going to kill myself before this trip is over."
"Would you stop fighting? I was already having a hard time as it is! God, I'm really rethinking this trip." After I said that, they finally shut up, and we started to walk through the path up the mountain. There was dead trees everywhere. It's almost as if the mountain breathed death.

It took about an hour to walk through the forest. Eventually, when the path to the mountain connected to the path up the mountain we stopped at the rest area and park ranger office. It was a small building, with a reception desk and like, 4 cubicals.

The ranger at reception greeted us as we walked in. "Well hello there, my names Ranger Rachel and I'm at your service. How can I help?"

We all paused and stared at Ranger Rachel's awkward smile. One side of her fading blonde ponytail was hanging out and the big cowboy hat she had made it frizzy. She also had cheap nude pink lipstick on her front teeth.

"Hi, yes. My name is Rose, and these are my friends. We stopped to rest and to use the restroom real quick." Trust me, it got even more awkward.
" oh you did, did you because all of them are out of order for reasons unknown so I'm sure that y'all can find yourselves a nice bush. Have a nice night!" She then closed the reception window and walked into a cubicle.

"What a little-"
"Sarah she can still hear us!" Nick pointed to a camera.
"DOES IT LOOK LIKE I GIVE A FLYING FUCK NICK? DOES IT?" Sarah screamed at the top of her lungs, making me jump.
Brad started laughing his ass off, talking in between giggles, " Oh ma God-you sure- told-him"
Becca rolled her eyes, obviously uncomfortable. "Can we leave? We are going to miss the fireflies! It's already 10!"

Everyone them filed out the door, one at a time, and we made our way to the camping ground, on a platform about halfway atop Ituieti. About another two hours later, Sarah started to complain." OMG How fucking far up is this FUCKING mountain! I didn't sign up for fucking hiking, Rose!"
" Oh shut it Sarah, you entitled bitch, we've been here before, you knew it was a long trip!" I yelled, feeling raged.
"Wait, wait, wait. Guys, shh, I hear something." Becca said, holding her finger to her mouth.

"It's probably, Rose's stomach, the fatty...."
"Bitch I weigh 130 You and I both know I am not fat" I retorted.
" You know wha-" Sarah said before she was interrupted by a bloodcurdling, hi-pitched scream, and it didn't sound human.
" Guys, what in the actual fuck was that?!" Sarah whispered, alarmed.
" Maybe it was a deer?" Nick suggested.
"Deers don't goddamn scream you idiot! Listen, I don't know what that was but I don't want to fucking find out so let's get to camp, and we came sleep it off"
We all agreed with Becca's plan, and made it to the camp grounds. We set up camp, watched the fireflies, and all turned in.