~Chapter 7~'Apple' Pancakes

Apple knew now that maybe she should have kept the kiss to herself. Drawing circles on the glossy yellow table with her fingertip while pretending to listen to Brair and Ashlynn telling her that 'maybe she should leave him to make up his mind without interruption'. But Apple and Daring were supposed to be together, it was supposed to be set in stone. For the first time in a long while, Apple wished Raven had signed The Book of Legends. Then none of this rebel stuff would have happened and Daring would be hers. But the question of 'Would you love Daring like you do now?' appeared.

"God, Apple, you could at least listen. We're trying to help you." Briar through her arms up in frustration. Apple had been taken away by her own selfish thoughts to take in anything they had said. Or to notice Daring, Lizzie and Cerise's absences.

-

Lizzie had just gotten up from the door, glad no one else was in the room, and was wiping dripping mascara from her face. Stumbling to the bathroom sink, she wished she could wash the numb stabbing of a butter knife attempting to saw through her heart as well as her face. What Lizzie would give to have one night alone with that boy, it was pathetic why she was still thinking of him. Lizzie turned the water to cold and finished wiping off the black streaks that dripped down her face before reaching for a towel. As she dabbed the fabric on her face, she remembered what she was here to do. Lizzie had come back to her dorm to make the dress, feel the fabric slide under her finger tips and to hear each thread grip onto the fabric.

Grabbing the plastic bag she had thrown by the door as she broke down and dropping the towel onto the bathroom floor, she headed to her pride and joy. The old sewing machine buzzed to life on the golden painted desk which made Lizzie smile. She ran a manicured finger down the smooth plastic before choosing a thread. Lizzie decided to pick out a dark grey thread that wasn't to thick, nor to flimsy, and started to thread the machine. Before she knew it, she had drawn the templates for her dress and cut them out of the fabric. The extra would make a nice attachable skirt extension, she thought. With any luck she'd be done by the end of the day.

-

Daring entered the cafeteria. As girls stared up at him from the tables all he could see was Apple. His fingers still smelt like her sweet perfume. From the other side of the room, Apple waved with a blush forming on her cheeks and Briar and Ashlynn were either side of her with troubled looks on their faces. Daring bit his lip, scratched the back of his neck and then joined the small cue for breakfast. Sliding a tray between his hands, the dinner lady asked him what he wanted in a grunt of a voice.

"Umm, just some, err, porridge please." Daring forced the words out at the lady trying to make his voice sound confident like it usually did. The dinner lady looked at him with one eyebrow raised, but she asked no questions. Daring could release the breath he didn't remember holding in.

Picking up a glass of orange juice, he started to head towards Apple. Where else could he sit? With other adoring girls that will stir the situation up more?

"I thought you would have got 'Apple' pancakes Daring." Brair was almost shoved off of the chair by Apple as he sat down next to Ashlynn. The two of them looked un-supportive of his actions, which Daring didn't hate surprisingly. Ashlynn looked at him for a second, moving her head in a small unnoticeable movement of scolding towards him. Daring breathed in and out quickly. Ashlynn was like a mum, to everyone, and right now she was giving him the 'I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed' look but the friend version.

Sifting through his porridge, Daring kept himself to himself. Briar, Ashlynn and Apple soon noticed but didn't ask him if he was ok. It's hard to know if that's what people want you to say. Daring's appetite had disintegrated and he pushed the bowl away, swept his backpack from the floor and got up. Apple looked sad, but didn't stop him. 

Daring broke into a jog once out of the cafeteria and away from its big doors. Not many people stopped and stared, but there were the odd few. His blond hair bounced on his head as his legs lead him somewhere he'd regret. He hadn't seen Lizzie in the cafeteria, but he had seen her beforehand. Whether he wanted to recall that memory debated in his mind as it would lead to another memory a little earlier that would explain what he was doing when Lizzie saw him. Somehow Daring know that Lizzie knew what him and Apple had done. And for an unknown reason, Daring felt guilty. Did he have a reason to feel guilty? Did he earn any of this crazy situation? 

Controlling himself before someone found him in a heap on the floor again, he proceeded to the corridors of the dorm rooms. School was soon, but it didn't bother Daring if he was late. In fact, Daring was thinking of excuses to miss school today, a day in his dorm room on his own was what Daring needed. But before he brewed up some fake sick, or walked past all the teachers coughing violently, he wanted to see Lizzie. Only God knew why but he didn't even have to knock for her to open the door. 

The smile on Lizzie face almost dropped when she saw him on the other side of the door. Lizzie looked around at the other doors anywhere but his face even though she craved a glance. The walls weren't welcoming anymore, just tattood with Daring's face attached to Apple's. Not that that's what happened, Lizzie didn't know for sure, she just felt it somehow. Like a sixth sense. 

"You kissed didn't you?" The flat tone of Lizzie's voice surprised even her as that looked at each other. Lizzie couldn't tell if the desperation was shown through her eyes as Daring stared into them. And she couldn't put her finger on what emotion he had on his at all. 

"Yes."