Chapter 20

I took the thick string off of me and got off the chair as Andrew untied Charlotte and my grandma.

"We need to leave. Now." I said.

"No. Stop." Cole shouted out weakly as he laid sprawled on the floor. Andrew's punch must've been really hard. "Don't you dare leave."

"Oh Cole you're right. Guys we can't leave because Cole says so." Andrew sarcastically said.

"She'll find you, and then she'll kill you." Cole said.

"She was gonna kill us anyways." Charlotte spoke.

They all started walking towards the corridor.

"Goodbye Cole." I spat out and walked behind the three.

"Get back here!" I could hear Cole shout. "You'll regret this! She'll find you!" He shouted a bunch of other things but I shut him out. I didn't want to hear it.

We walked through the dark corridor and opened the door into the sunset.

My heart was pounding through my chest as I thought of the fact that I was so close to death. The murderer: my mum.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked them.

They all nodded.

"Just a few bruises from the string." Charlotte said.

"Are you?" Andrew asked looking at my cheeks. "You got bruises." He looked for more injuries. "And a few red marks."

"Don't worry, I'm fine." I said.

"Honey, what was that?" My grandma asked in shock as we walked on the street.

There was no way of telling my grandma without sounding harsh. But I had to.

And I did. I told her about the notes, the reason she went to the hospital, how Cole was in on it and how Andrew almost died.

"Why didn't you tell me about this before?" She asked me.

"I didn't want to worry you." I answered.

"Well you should've told me, after all, I'm one of the victims, I should at least know if there's someone out to kill me."

"Gran, I'm so sorry, I just, I didn't know how to tell you."

We walked in silence, trying to comprehend everything that had just happened.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but, I wish my mum really did die." I said.

No one said anything for a while.

"I can't believe it's her. My Mary. She's a murderer." My grandma said.

"She's not just a murderer, she's a psychopath. She's completely crazy." Charlotte said emotionlessly.

She was right though. My mum was a psychopath. No normal person goes around killing their family because they didn't want them. Because she hates them.

We got to my house and all walked in.

"Gran, you should rest." I placed my hand her shoulder and spoke softly.

She nodded. "I'm absolutely tired." She gave me a hug and then walked up the stairs, not saying anything else.

I turned to look at Andrew and Charlotte. I sat on the sofa with Andrew besides me and Charlotte sat on a chair in front of us.

"I...I don't know what to say." Charlotte started.

"There is nothing to say." I said immediately after her.

I played with the bottom of my jumper. I felt Andrew wrap his right arm around me and I rested my head on his chest.

"I just can't believe it's her." I said.

"Neither can I." Andrew spoke.

"All because she hates me. Because she had me when she wasn't ready." I sighed. "She's gonna come looking for us. We should've never escaped."

"She was going to kill us either way. At least now we have a little more time left." Andrew stated.

"It doesn't matter. We're all going to die. Or worse, she'll just torture us."

We all stayed in silence again.

"How did they fake their deaths?" I called out.

"Cole's body was never found." Charlotte said.

"But my mum, I saw her body. She was dead, I saw her."

"When someone is beaten up so badly, they're unrecognisable." She answered. "And the police found Lucas with her so immediately they arrested him as the suspect. With the suspect already caught, they didn't go further into the investigation, meaning they don't find who the real dead woman was."

"So you're saying Mary killed another woman to pretend to be her?" Andrew asked.

"Probably." Charlotte replied.

"How do you know so much about this?" Andrew asked.

"I wanted to be a crime investigator, I know some stuff." She replied.

Andrew nodded his head and got back into his thoughts.

"But why would she have to fake her death? And if she was so strong, why did she let Lucas hit her?" Andrew spoke.

How did this all fit so perfectly? My mum got abused by someone and he apparently killed her meaning there was no investigation for the crime, declaring her dead.

"He was part of the plan." I said.

  *********************************
"Are you sure you don't want me to go with you?" Andrew asked worriedly, watching me tie my hair up.

I shook my head.

"Honey are you sure about this?"

"Yeah, I'll be safe." I replied.

"That's what you said last time, but you were almost killed." Andrew spoke.

"Okay well, this time I'm going to a heavily guarded building, not the home of a killer." I said as I grabbed my shoulder clutch bag.

My grandma gave Andrew a look and he gave a small nod.

"What?" I asked confused at their exchange.

"Nothing." He gave me a kiss on the forehead. "Just be careful."

"I will." I hugged my grandma and walked out of the house.

As I walked down the road, I completely realised what I was doing. I had a huge debate the night before in my head whether to do this or not, and I was still not one hundred percent sure.

I felt a pang in my stomach at the thought of what was going to happen. I was really doing this.

I walked into the building and thought of what to say. One moment to another, I was sitting in a room with a bunch of other people talking and crying.

"Hello Valerie." I heard a familiar voice.

"Hi Lucas." I looked up to meet my stepdad's eyes.

  **********************************
I hope you all liked this chapter.
Vote, comment and follow me.
I'll be updating soon.
<3