Chapter 6

"Prepare to board, lads!" Maebh heard the pirate captain shouting.

Quietly, she slipped out of Blackbrow's cabin and made her way below deck to the berth where she bumped into Tomas, hastily strapping a sword to his side.

"Maebh!" Tomas exclaimed, looking flustered and terribly distracted.

If her mind music hadn't been suspenseful and terrifying enough, it now rose several octaves while maintaining a terrible, low drumming under the surface music.

"Uhh... !" she flashed him a nervous, slightly apologetic smile. "Listen, what happened the other day—"

Much to her startlement, he took her by the shoulders and looked right into her face. "It's fine. Really. I would love to continue this conversation, but considering we're about to attack a ship, I would say this really isn't the time." He gave her a quick nod and brushed passed her.

Maebh stood there for a moment, blinking in surprise. Goodness, these past weeks had changed him.

She heard a savage cry go up from the pirates, and deduced that the fighting had begun. Hurrying to her hammock, she stowed the few items she had left in it in a run-down chest on the floor and climbed into her hammock.

Closing her eyes, Maebh wished her mind music was loud enough to block out the noise of the fight above. Gradually, its tone of terror faded into a song that matched the gently rocking waves and sung her into a restless sleep.

die