Homeless Fighter

"Hi Aiden. I'm...Emery."

    He held out his hand for a handshake, but I was too busy staring. Evie shoved me and I blinked. Aiden turned red and slowly brought his hand back to his side.

"Oh."

    I said dumbly. Wow, I'm so lame. Dylan cleared his throat beside me. Aiden smiled at him and shook his hand firmly, introducing himself. Dylan did the same. We all stood there awkwardly before Aiden started up a conversation with me.

"So, I heard you needed a partner?"

"Oh really? Who said I needed one?"

    Evie blushed and stood behind Aiden for protection. He put his hand on his neck and just stood there.

"Aiden, let's get one thing straight; I don't need anyone but Dylan. I don't need a partner. As you saw before, I took down a grown man. So whatever Evie told you, probably isn't accurate."

"Well she told me you were cute."

    My cheeks turned a pink-ish color. Evie is so going to die for this.

"Evie also said that you were single."

    I looked over at her with wide eyes. The one thing Evie knew about the most was my temper. My anger rose to high levels really quickly--no exceptions. She looked scared shitless honestly. I motioned for the girls changing room.

"Excuse me for a minute."

"Yeah me too."

     Evie said, voice filled with fear. I stormed towards the changing room, shoving anyone who got in my way. Evie was way ahead of me and turned the corner into the room before I got there. When I walked in, she was nowhere in sight. I walked around to find her, my hands balled into fists. I walked around some lockers, I saw a blur of blonde hair.

"Evie! Get your ass out here!"

    Some girls popped their heads out to see the commotion.

"Get out!"

    I bellowed. They grabbed all of their things and ran out of the changing rooms. I knew there was fire burning in my blue eyes. I basically felt them become transparant like they usually do when I'm mad.

"Evie goddamn it!"

    She peeked out from behind a locker.

"Emery, please don't be mad."

"Don't be mad? Don't be mad! I'm furious!"

    Slowly, she walked towards me with her hands up in defense.

"He wouldn't come meet you unless I told him more about you! You haven't had a boyfriend in...forever! I was just trying to help."

    I grabbed her by her shoulders and slammed her into the locker. She was pinned under my hands, not that she'd move anyways. She squirmed a little bit with a pained look on her face.

"Emery, I'm sorry."

"You embarrassed me. I hate being embarrassed. I don't need your help trying to find a boyfriend. I'm sure I can handle it myself if I wanted one. But I don't want one. I want to keep Dylan safe. I want to keep earning money and live in a better home. And I really thought that I could do that with your offer, but you went and did this shit. So you can take your good deed for the day and shove it up your ass. Stay out of my life."

    I lifted my hands off of her and watched her ran out of the changing room. Honestly, I'm not a good friend. I'd throw them under the bus any chance I got if it meant saving me or Dylan. Mostly my brother though. But both Ron and Evie knew that. I still don't know why they even became my friend. I walked out a few minutes after her to find Ronnie, Dylan, and Aiden waiting for me.

"Where'd Evie go?"

    Ron asked. I shrugged, still unwinding from the verbal fight me and her had. He didn't press on further. Aiden watched me intensely. My eyes shot to him. I raised my eyebrows.

"Well? Let's see what you got."