Chapter 13

The barn dance ended close to one in the morning. Tobias hadn't come near me for the rest of the night, but I'd caught him staring a few times. A longing stare from across the room, now that was a better fantasy than the ones I had concocted. Eric had been of no use and though he tried to come back, I gently nudged him away and focused on the other cute guys. The next morning, Stephen had made us all Swedish pancakes and hash brown potatoes with bacon on the side. I thanked him, already imagining how good my tummy was going to feel with all that delicious food sitting in it. Mr. and Mrs. Wells poured themselves cups of coffee asking us how the dance had been. It was great for me, Tobias, well; he had a handful of things to think about.

A knock sounded at the front door and Mr. Wells excused himself to get it. I heard the screen door creak open before, "Morning Tobias, what brings you here?" My fork fell from my hand, clattering onto the plate. Jean-Louise, Stephen and I exchanged looks before Mrs. Wells asked us what all that was about. Mr. Wells stepped back into the kitchen telling me Tobias wanted to see me. "I would tell you to make him wait until breakfast is over, but I want to know what he wants." Stephen said.

"What if he asks me out?"

"It's up to you."

"Stephen, I've never dated before. Help!"

I instantly regretted uttering those words. My lack of dating experience was supposed to be a secret. "I'd say yes." Mrs. Wells cut in. "You've evaded him long enough." My cheeks surely turned crimson as I stood. Great, he was going to see me in my flannel pajamas. I quickly ran a couple of fingers through my hair to eliminate the bedhead look then stepped onto the porch. He was wearing a pair of dark jeans with a beige turtleneck under a black leather jacket. Breathe, Madison, breathe!

"Good morning." He said.

"Good morning. What brings you by this early?" I asked.

"I wanted to apologize."

"For?"

"Trying to hit on you after I so blatantly made out with that girl in front of everyone. You deserve better than someone's sloppy seconds."

Well if that were true, I would definitely never go out with him. "You're capable of being decent, but you just act too much like a jerk." I said.

"I know. When you grow up with the reputation of being a Delaney, it tends to get to your head."

"Well, it doesn't hurt that you're a cute guy too."

"Thank you Madison. Listen, I came by because I keep putting myself in situations that make me look like a douche, so I wanted a chance to properly show you that I'm actually a nice guy."

My hands tingled in anticipation. "I'd like to take you to dinner tonight at the country club." He said.

"And you won't hit on the waitress?" I asked.

"Not even if she looked like 1990's Jennifer Aniston."

"Well, I'd give you a free pass then."

"So, is that a yes?"

"... Yes, it's a yes."

He lifted up my hand to kiss it. "I'll come to pick you up at 7." I nodded.

"Are you going to bless me with a smile before I leave?"

As much as I wanted to not give into his request, I did anyway. He wished me a good breakfast before stepping off to his truck. I closed the screen door sitting down to breakfast again. The Wells stared at me with pressing looks. "Dinner tonight at 7 at the country club." I grinned. Jean-Louise squealed, holding up her glass of orange juice.