Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jake’s POV

            School had finally ended for the day and I was going planning on heading back to the hospital. The only reason I had even gone to school today instead of staying with Maia, was because she had threatened me with absolute silence if I had stayed for the rest of my time there. I didn’t want to be on her bad side, and I was just so used to listening to what she said, I left with a strict promise of being back as soon as the bell rung.

            Though now that wasn’t’ necessarily true. I had stopped by a hardware store before I headed over. I walked in and the door chimed at my arrival. The man sitting at a counter looked up from his phone and smiled at me.

            “Need any help?” he asked me.

            “I’m fine,” I replied curtly. I had been here so many time I knew exactly where everything was located. I walked down isle 2 and grabbed a box of one and three fourths of an inch, silver nails.

            Then I walked to the front and checked out. The man gave me a cheerful, have a good day, as I walked out. I could only give him a short snort in reply. As if visiting my sister in the hospital would be fun.

            I hopped back into my car and after a few turns, stoplights, and lane changes I had made it to the hospital. I walked in, and the smell instantly hit me. I crinkled my nose and blocked it out. I was never good to dwell on the smell of sickness and antiseptic.

            Up to the second floor I went and down the hall until I made it to her room, though not as frantic as I was the last time.

            Owen was with her, sleeping in the chair next to her bed. She was laying awake, blinking at the bright hospital lights.

            “Hey,” I whispered and she looked over at me. Her eyes crinkled as she smiled and waved me over.

            She moved to the side and sat up, fluffing the pillows behind her. Maia patted the spot next to her and I sat gingerly down.

            “I brought you something,” I told her.

            “Oh yeah? And what would that be?” Maia asked.

            I pulled the box of screws out of my pocket and handed them to her. Now I know you are probably thinking I’m crazy giving my sister nails when normal people usually give a sick person flowers or stuffed animals. Well, my family wasn’t necessarily normal, but we’ll get more into that later. Maia was a metal bender, and you could hardly catch her without her swirling a ball of metal in her palm.

            She took the box happily and pried it open. She poured a couple in her hand instantly started to reshape them. A large smile passed over her face as she did so.

            “Thanks,” she whispered, careful not to wake Owen. “Owen has been so worried and frantic lately he keeps on forgetting when I tell him to bring me some.”

            “Anytime,” I told her. That seemed like Owen. He was always the forgetful type to begin with, and having his wife in the hospital wasn’t helping things.

            “So how was school?” she asked and I rolled my eyes. That was so like her.

            “Fine,” I grumbled. “I couldn’t really concentrate because I was worrying about you.”

            “Well that’s no good,” she stated, “You need to keep your grades up for football.”

            “And it’s-“ I cut off as Maia started to shake violently. Her eyes had rolled back and white foam was starting to form at her mouth. I stared in horror. I didn’t know what to do. She was having a seizure. Her limbs were banging up against the bar on the side of her bed and the machines attached to her were beeping loudly.