Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Thalia

            The clash of metal was all you could hear. I watched in utter horror as he fought for my life while I sat here unable to do anything. Sweat was rolling down his body as he attacked. His opponent blocked and the clang of the swords echoed in the large room. I sat there transfixed as I watched the deadly dance, they parried, blocked, and feinted. I knew Wes was good, but this guy was just as good and that’s what worried me. He struck---

            I tore my eyes away from my book feeling someone’s eyes on me. Sticking a scratch piece of paper to keep the page I looked up. Jake stood next to me, tall and foreboding.

            “What do you want?!” I demanded.

            “I, um… need your help,” he stuttered out, totally unsure of himself, which was very much unlike him. Usually he was loud, demanding, and obnoxious. This sudden change unnerved me.

            “Is this another one of your stupid pranks?” I asked. I started to quickly pack up my backpack, foreseeing the need to make a quick escape. I stood up, my backpack slung over my shoulder and I faced him warily. I was unsure as to whether I should dart off now or stay and wait to see what he wanted.

            The smart thing would was run off now but there was something about him, he seemed desperate and slightly sad. In fact he had been quite subdued these past couple of weeks.

            “Look I need you to tell me about the mermaid’s kiss thing that you were talking about in class,” he said.

            I let out a sigh of disgust. “Really? You just want my help to ace our English project?!” I shook my head and turned around, stomping away. I was disgusted in myself that I actually believed for a moment that this would actually be something relevant.

            “Wait!” Jake yelled. He grabbed my arm and yanked me around towards him. “Look it’s not for that. I need to make a wish. My sister is dying and if this is true I will do anything to save her.”

             “Are you trying to make me out to be the crazy girl now who believes in legends now?” I asked angrily, yanking my arm out of his grasp. “Where’s the camera?”

            “I’m not lying and I’m not trying to make fun of you! I’m desperate, I would do anything and I believe in more things than the normal person. Look there is just something about watching a person you love slowly dying right before your eyes and knowing you can do nothing to help them. It’s one of the worst things in the world to go through. Nothing you do, no matter how much time you have, either a day, or five years will make any difference. They will still just leave you and you will have to live with the guilt of knowing that you couldn’t do anything to help them. But, with this, if it’s true I could save her. It’s my only hope. I want to do something, anything to help my sister, even if it means chasing a myth to the ends of the world. Please, I’m begging you to help me!”

            I stared speechless at him. I saw the pain and truth in his eyes. Who knew this cold boy could feel this much. I didn’t even know there was someone that he even cared about this much, it was astounding. Though hearing this still didn’t make me like him. No, that would take time if it even happened at all.

            “Look, even I if helped you, don’t you remember what I said before? You have to be someone with powers that ordinary humans don’t have. Are you telling me that you do? Because, until I know, I’m not telling you a thing.”