Chapter 12

A few days passed without any news about the wedding. Mattie kept invading my cubicle, waiting with less patience than me. Actually I wasn't all that excited about any more wedding news. I was much more interested in what Jake was up to.

I was a little surprised that I hadn't heard a peep from him since the whole kissing scandal. That apologetic email was the last contact I'd had.

I checked my email, waiting, hoping, needing to see that email address. But instead only Emma's was in my inbox.

Dear Bridesmaids,

Two super exciting announcements for you today. We have put together a schedule for the amazing stagette that Josie came up with during the contest. We will be heading out to the Virgin Islands for the long weekend. This will give us three fun filled days of sun, surf, spa, and spritzers!

But before that, my mother has insisted that we have one more formal gathering. This will be held on Thursday, the day before we leave on our little trip. This glamour filled evening is a very formal occasion, held mostly for our parent's friends. It is a tradition among their crowd to have this sort of last hurrah before any wedding. Please dress appropriately and be sure you are on your best behavior as this crowd is VERY sophisticated.

See you Thursday girls!

Your Bride,

Emma VanHorn

My mood instantly lightened. I would be able to see Jake again, although I was almost starting to wonder if he even cared to see me again.

As usual, Mattie came calling at my cubicle to get the big wedding scoop.

"See? What'd I tell you? I told you you'd need that other dress. You are going to knock Jake's socks off in that little black Oscar de la Renta."

"I did look good in that one, didn't I?" I said.

"Good? Honey, you were spectacular."

"You always know what to say to make me feel better."

"Do I detect a hint of gloom in you today?" Mattie asked. "You should be on top of the world right now."

I shrugged. "Not gloom really. I'm just a little disappointed that Jake hasn't called or emailed me again."

"Well, don't worry, you'll see him on Thursday, and in that dress no less," Mattie said.

# # #

At home that night Calla was looking a little gloomy herself.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"I dunno. I'm just feeling a little lonely I guess," she said. "I'm so used to having you around all the time that I miss you when you're gone shopping and partying with the rich and famous."

"Sorry I've been gone so much." I hadn't even thought about what all this would be like for Calla. "I promise, when this is all over, everything will get back to normal again," I continued.

"Okay," she said with a little smile. "Hey, do you have anything on this weekend? Maybe we could do something fun. Since it's a long weekend, you must be free at least one night," she said.

The way she said it was lighthearted, but it made me feel like total crap, especially considering I was jetting off to a luxury resort for the weekend.

"Um. Actually..."

Her excited expression fell.

"Emma has the stagette planned for this weekend."