Prologue

Ira's POV
----------
As the school day came to a close, I was loaded with homework as usual. Walking out of the school's large front doors, I held tightly to my textbooks as Laura and Derek trekked behind me. 

"We should all finish our homework straight away and then actually do something interesting after school," I said to both of my friends, turning to walk backwards so I could face them. Derek's expression immediately turned sour at the idea of going straight from a six hour school day into another two hours of work.

"Actually, Ira, I already have some plans with my friends." Laura said quickly before turned and walking away, her only goodbye to Derek and me was a small wave over her shoulder. "Well then it's just you and me," I huffed before twisting so I could walk next to him. "Um...actually..." Derek's voice spoke softly. "Oh come on." I was feeling completely defeated.

"Sorry, some of the guys from the basketball team want to stay late and practice for our game on Friday."

Without further explanation he turned down the concrete path that led to the school's gym and weight rooms. He smiled widely at me, "It will be fine, and Peter will be home!" I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him before replicating his smile. He knew I hated that guy.

Since both Laura and Derek had decided to ditch me, I was alone riding my bike home. Jumping off as the road turned into dirt, I started walking down the trail to our house. The path was quiet and pristine, only wide enough for a single car to get through.

When me and my parents first came to live here, of what I can remember about it, I had always though that it was strange why the Hale's lived in the middle of the forest. Maybe it was scenic or something, but I always questioned why my parent's thought it was fine to bring them and their baby girl to live in the middle of nowhere. Though, now that I had been living in the house for a while, I had to admit its location helped when I wanted to get away from the busy nature of the town.

Opening the front door of the large house, I was immediate bombarded with the scent of food. "I'm home!" I shouted as I placed my bag down on the table in the middle of the foyer. "In the kitchen sweetheart!" I heard my father's voice shout from across the house. Following the smell of fresh baked cookies I wandered my way into the kitchen.

"Hey," I said as I made my way through the door, seeing my dad standing in front of the oven, "you know, I think you are the only one in this entire house that uses that oven, you know that?" Chuckling lightly, he turned to me with a smile, "Well, that doesn't mean it can never be used, and if no one else uses it, technically it belongs to me."

"Way to look at the positive side of the fact that you cook every meal for a house of fourteen people," I mentioned to him before stuffing a warm cookie into my mouth. He shook his head while laughing and patting me on the back, ushering me out of the room, "Don't you have some homework to do or something?" Giving him a large smile I scurried out of the room while say, "I'll be in the basement!"

Grabbing my bag, I quickly descended the stairs into our large basement. I guess you could call our basement a recreation-room type area; it is where the whole family could spend time together. Jumping on the couch lightly I opened my school books and waited for more people to come home. I still wanted to get most of my homework done even though I was alone, plus if my dad ever came down to check up on me he wouldn't think I was procrastinating.

Turning on my MP3 player, I chose a perfectly themed playlist before staring glumly down at the blank worksheet in front of me that was due tomorrow.

Chemistry is getting more and more difficult, and Mr. Harris definitely isn't helping me achieve excellence through his teaching, so I had to basically learn it on my own. If Derek had come home right after school I'm sure he could help me with it since he is taking the same course, but he always seems to be busy with something.