2 ~ Sweet Dream

Tapping my fingers against my leg, I peered up at the black and burnt wooden house that stood in front of me.

"Are you ready?" Derek spoke softly, not wanting to trigger anything with me.

"Um, I don't know Derek. I was just told that everything that I have ever known about the supernatural world is true and you just brought me to the house both our families died in. That I died in." My voice was rough from crying and from the anger that was rushing through my veins.

After taking a few deep breathes, I nodded slightly, and started to walk towards the front door. Gripping the handle, it felt cold under my touch from how inactive the house had been for many years. The creaking of the hinges sent a shiver down my spine as I stepped into the foyer. Flashbacks of that night came running through my mind like a movie, out that I would not want to see again.

Derek's hand came down onto the top of my shoulder in the attempt to comfort me. Flinching away, the heat from his hand left my skin. "Stop, Derek. I know this seems like just a nice visit back home to you, but for me its memories of horror. I also learned that I somehow I didn't age for six years and have no idea what I was doing. I just need a minute, okay?" Sadness filled Derek's eyes but he gave me a small smile in understanding.

Turning around, I lead my eyes up to stairs that would take me to my childhood bedroom. Closing my eyes and steadying my heart beat, I continued to walk further into the house. With each step the floor squeaked under my weight, making the dark interior even scarier.

Finally making all the way up the stairs, I turned down the hallway that led to my bedroom. From a small distance away I could tell that the door to my bedroom was closed, locking in all of the memories and emotions that came with it. Pushing the door open, I let out a large gasp. Everything was gone except for the small dresser that sat on the wall opposite to the window. Whether that was by sheer coincidence, or it was because of the placement in the room, I finally felt a shred of happiness since I had entered the house.

Pulling open the top drawer, I pulled out a small locket that my mother had given to me for my birthday only a few months before the accident. It was slightly rusted where the two sides opened. Strangely, I didn't know that it could open - pushing my fingernails in between the two sides and popping them open, tears started to fill my eyes as a photo of me and my parents smiled back at me through my blurry vision. Snapping it closed I held the small locket against my chest and let the silent tears slide down my cheeks.

I started losing my breath as I tried to keep the noises from my crying from leaving my lips. Taking the small chains in between my fingers, I pulled the necklace attached to the locket over my head, pulling my hair out from underneath it. Placing my empty hands up against my chest, I walked out of the room and ran down the stairs. I could barely see Derek, but I heard him follow me out the door.

"Hey, hey; take a breath!" I heard his voice echo behind me. Blinking several times, I let my vision focus on his concerned face. I softened under his gaze while he looked at the different aspects of my body to see if I was hurt, when his eyes finally landed on the small item resting on my chest. "Oh..." his voice lowered as he continued to rub my arms. As if he had just noticed that I was still wearing the tattered clothing that he had found me, he quickly ran inside to give me one of his sweaters in what seemed like seconds.

The sudden warmth was comforting against my bare arms. I smiled lightly and Derek seemed very pleased with himself, smiling while crossing his arm in front of his chest and sighing. Expression changing quickly and for no apparent reason, Derek's face fell serious.

"What's wrong?" I asked, the weakness of my voice shocking me, clearing my throat lightly.

"Someone is coming." Without another word, Derek took off walking in a random direction, further into the forest. After a few moments of being frozen in surprise, I followed behind him, not wanting to be alone in the forest that I had once been so familiar with.