First In Line 8

"Do I have a specific attire to wear?" 

"Oh My God, we totally didn't talk about that! What if you don't have the appropriate clothes for this event?!" Morgan panicked on the phone and I just had to suppress a sigh. She has been panicking for the last hour because of this 'family' gathering we're going to attend. I'm not that used with Morgan blabbering and nagging like the usual girls today do because I'm going to admit that she's not like most girls, so this is definitely a surprise. But maybe every girl has a side like this; some just don't use it that often. "Can you just please relax and tell me the clothes that you prefer." 

Her line went completely ragged for a moment before she finally replied. "Blue." 

"Okay, I got that color, see? No need to panic about little things." 

She sighed, "you're right. I was completely and utterly overdramatic."

"You got that right." I mumbled then laughed to immediately change the subject before she even realize what I said. "So, I'll be there at 7--"

"John!" Someone shouted from outside. "Morgan, I'll get back to you." She was protesting but I quickly hanged up the phone to check who was calling me. "John!" 

Can't that certain someone wait for a second? "I'm coming!" I shouted back, not even bothering to button my shirt before making my way downstairs. The only problem of living inside the white house is the size because this mansion is absolutely huge for a teenager like me. Okay, so maybe I have no problem with living in a huge place like this but walking and running in search of people isn't entertaining and not to mention, it's very tiring. 

When I finally made it downstairs, my mother was tapping her foot impatiently and had her arms crossed. When she finally saw me descending from the stairs, she came a little closer. "Can you please babysit Desiree? Your father finally had the time for me and I can't live Desiree alone." 

I scowled and ran my hands through my hair. "Mom," I started, but she immediately cut me off. "Don't Mom me, Jack, and button your shirt right this instant." I quickly followed her order because she called me 'Jack', and my mom calling me Jack only means that she's pissed. I buttoned my shirt in just a second before making my point. "What I'm trying to say mom, is I'm going to a friend's family gathering--"

"Why are you going to their family gathering? Are you a part of their family?" She once again cut me off which sent my scowl to deepen.

"Mom, can you please listen to me for a second? She--"

"She?!" My mom exclaimed, causing her forehead to create worry lines, which I'm sure my forehead mirrors the same right now. I was about to talk again but my dad, this time, was the one to interrupt and suddenly jumped on the scene. "Look at you Johnny my boy, looking so...well, I don't even quite understand your style--if it's casual or formal." He made his way down the stairs and settled beside me. I almost snorted because that's the point, it's called smart casual. "So," he looked between me and my mother back and forth. "What's the event, son?" 

"Dad!" I frowned. "I asked for your permission to let me attend Morgan's family gathering. How could you forget about that and make me babysit Desiree when you specifically said yes. I even gave you all the information you asked for." My breathing became loud and ragged due to my parents--given the fact that they both graduated from Harvard, and even took a master’s degree at Cambridge and my mother, Oxford--forgot that I was about to go to Morgan's gathering today. 

"And what will you get when you attend that gathering, Jack?" My mom asked after minutes of them contemplating and trying to remember what I just said. "What a nice question, dear." My dad agreed with my mother and made his way beside her. "In the world of politics son, gains are important, whether it's absolute or relative. Now, it is her gain but it is your lost, are you going to agree with that proposition?"