Chapter Thirteen

My worst nightmare has come true. In the midst of all the great items in my new room is something beautifully horrid: Emma. She sits on the white-covered bed, playing with her phone that has a sparkly pink case. I sputter, then gain my composure. She can't be alone, why would she come alone? Yet nobody else is in the room, it's totally empty besides her and the furniture.

"Paige," I call, my eyes so wide I'm convinced they'll pop out of my head. "Come see this."

Emma looks up at me and smiles genuinely.

"I know, the room is pretty sweet, isn't it?" Paige laughs from behind me.

From the location of her voice, I can assume that she's lounging on the couch. I would turn around and look for her, but I don't dare take my eyes off of Emma. My heart pounds, and I take a single step into the room.

"No, really," I tremble, taking another step. "There's a trespasser in here."

Paige succeeds again in answering dumbly.

"We have room service here, it's probably just the cleaner."

I give up on her and fall for the bait. At full speed, I charge towards Emma, who still acts as if she's oblivious to me. Slowly, she wags a finger at me, as if she disapproves of my action. I'm whipped back and forth to the rhythm of her finger. She flicks the finger back, and I'm thrown backwards into the wall. I fly through the air, leaving my stomach behind. I brace myself for the impact, but I'm set down on the ground upright instead. Only now does Emma look up from her phone.

Now is when I choose to remember that I have multiple abilities. Yeah, I haven't trained with them, but how hard can it be? I think through the abilities that I have now, scouring my brain to remember all of the skills available. Gritting my teeth, I remember one that will help me in this position: speed. I have no clue of how to activate it, but I figure that if I just start moving my legs quickly, it'll just start working. Doing just that, I fly towards her again. And it works. The room spins in a dizzying blur as I collide with Emma. A satisfying scream comes from her, making me smile heroically.

But I'm not done with her yet. Setting all dangers aside, I attempt anti-gravity. Concentrating on the air around me, I will it to pick me up. Still, I stand on the solid ground. I try one more time before giving up. Emma still lays on the bed, stunned, making me shrug a little bit.

"Paige!" I scream, trying to sound urgent so that she'd actually come. "Get in here!"

"What! What?" I hear Paige's feet patter towards me.

When she peaks her head into the room, she gasps. I try not to smile, attempting to act serious about the matter.

"Do you know who that is?" Paige stutters.

I lift my eyebrows and smirk at her, watching Emma as she begins to stir.

"Yeah, a member of the enemy's force," I say in a matter-of-fact tone.

"No, no, no," Paige rubs her head as if she has a headache. "That's Emma...it was her job to get you here by whatever means possible. She's not really the enemy."

I frown, furrowing my brow. That's not right. I saw her dragging Ms. Limm away myself. There's no way that she's one of us. I huff, looking Paige straight in the eyes. Then I shake my head in exasperation.

"She kidnapped Ms. Limm, she's not one of us," I say angrily.

"She probably put on a convincing act then," she rolls her eyes. "Just let go of the past, I promise you that she's not a bad guy."

I don't let go of the past, but I pretend to, nodding my head slowly.

"So now what?" I kick my foot on the ground.

"Wake her up," sighs Paige. "You know how."

I don't, actually. And I don't hesitate to let Paige know that. She proceeds to tell me it's one of my new abilities. Immediately, I feel stupid as she guides my hand to Emma's pale forehead. Life floods through my fingers, and I can feel her insides stirring. What I do isn't magic, but there's no other way to explain it.

Like in all the movies, Emma's eyelashes flutter a few times before revealing her sparkling eyes again. This time, the sparkle is dulled and blank. She groans, blinks a few times, and rubs her forehead before the sparkle returns. I sigh in relief and Paige soon after replicates the action.

"Thanks," Emma sneers.

Anger boils in me, scorching my stomach. It's not my fault that I thought she was an enemy. And I still do because of that horrible look pasted on her face. I square my jaw and turn away from her, planning on never looking at the girl again.

"No problem," I spit and walk out of the room.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'll ever go back in.