Chapter Eighteen

A/N: I'm being so good about updates! How about I keep this up? It makes me excited :) on to the story...

That's that, I've fallen for something so simple. A net! A net is the thing that's going to kill me. I'm so stupid, I'm about ready to tear apart any one of my captors.

This net makes me feel like any animal. It keeps me down on the floor no matter how hard I struggle. It keeps me down and won't let me up.

"Help me," I demand. "Help me now. Or somebody's going to have to help you."

"What do you mean?" Green asks. The sincerity in her voice is equal to zero. "I'm pretty sure you have your math twisted. We let you escape and you'll kill us. You can't do anything while you're down there."

"Well then do something else for me," I say, glowering. "Let Paige go. She doesn't have anything to do with it."

It's a complete lie. She has everything to do with this. Paige is involved even more than I am, she's been in on this whole thing since before me. But I'll do a lot to protect Paige. She's always protected me, her being in my trust is a new thing. Usually, Paige leads a group and is a leader. But this new project where we have multiple abilities is changing everything. It's not a surprise either. The technology is probably so new that it's considered futuristic. Which would explain me being caught.

"How about no," she responds.

I clench my fists, I really do not like this woman. She's nothing but rude sassiness. There's no reason she should be so rude to me. Except for the fact that I'm her prisoner...but still. I just asked to do something noble, practically every super hero tries to spare somebody they love. And Paige just happens to be the person who's closest to me lately.

I look to my right and see Paige still sitting in the chair. The only difference I see from last time I looked over at her is that she's tied up. Pink stands next to her, arms crossed. Paige's eyes are wide, her face pale, and her normally pink lips are pursed together and white. Her hands, which are tied togehter, are quaking harder than I thought was humanly possible. Purple's shoulders are thrown back now, she's obviously gained some confidence since her opponent is now tied up.

I continue to stare at Paige, hoping that they can't do anything with us as long as we just keep eye contact. My eyes bore straight into her unblinking ones. Her lips open and form to make a silent word. But nothing comes out. She turns away from me and looks towards Green, the clear leader of the trio. Paige clears her throat, still looking towards Green. I turn my sights to the confident woman as well. Soon enough, she's staring straight at Paige. What's Paige doing? I wonder.

"No," she says. All the fear from a few moments ago has left her and isn't even in her voice.

"No?" chuckles Green.

There is no way I'm ever going to figure this girl. She is going to pay for every ounce of sarcasm that she's spat at us.

"You heard me," Paige snaps. Her jaw squares. That's my girl, I think. This is the Paige that I'm friends with. She can be as terrible to Green Girl as she wants to be. "No. I want you to take me. But leave her. She didn't do anything, she recently got these abilities and didn't even have a choice. Take me."

The words are like salt in a bullet wound. Even if they do take her up on the offer, I would never be able to leave her here. Not even if it was to be a hero. I'd rather be suffering while knowing she was safe, not the other way around. I'm sure everybody feels that way about people they love. I got quite a few glimpses at it while I went to school at the academy. Even though nobody was ever put into a life or death situation, people still sacrificed their own needs for somebody else.