Chapter 20.

C H A P T E R 2 0.

"Animal? What do you mean?" Choosy questioned, still unable to grasp the reality of it all.

Helen replied, in her unusual monotonous voice, "I was initially a monkey."

There was an unnatural smirk and a distant look on her face, like she was remembering the days that were long gone. Choosy laughed out loud, her eyebrows arching amidst, "Is this a joke?"

"No." Helen folded her hands and looked right into Choosy's eyes. "I was one of the first successful subjects with an unbeaten success percentage. 95%."

Choosy gasped. This was too much of a twist in the tale. This must not have happened. It sounded and seemed too wrong to be true. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because the scientists didn't want me to. They wanted you to fight your own battle or something. They are weird people. They do weird things," she stated like it was no big deal. She was too used to the scientists' lies; it had become a part of her life.

"Why are you telling me now?" Choosy couldn't keep her questions in, this was something too unexpected. Like a snowstorm in a train ride, changing the course of everything.

"Because, I wanted you to know. Plus, your words hurt."

"I am sorry."

If it was any other day, any other conversation, this would have triggered a hug from Helen. But today, she had opened up her locked-up heart and she was no more the same. She didn't initiate a hug and the distant look was back on her face.

They stood there looking down at each other's feet, too deep in thought to say anything at all. Choosy asked random questions which were all returned with short answers from her best friend.

"How long has it been?"

"More than ten years. I was hardly five."

"Why a monkey?"

"A monkey is the closest thing to a human. Our latest ancestor. The easiest route."

"Do you remember anything about the transformation?"

"Except a yellow serum, it's all a blur."

"If a monkey was a success, why did they try it on a dog?"

"Unfortunately, I lost the ability to reproduce after the transformation. It was unexpected but they could never correct it. The transformed animal always ended up devoid of a reproductive system."

Choosy sighed. She had suddenly gotten some rejuvenating energy from Helen; something she knew would keep her going, no matter what. This conversation was definitely drawing them closer and Choosy had started to trust Helen even more.

After a moment of deep thought, Choosy muttered, "You are so strong."

Helen let out an awkward laugh at it. "I was worse at it than you were, dude. For two years, every night, I cried myself to sleep. I was too young to understand anything at all. I felt unlucky and suicidal. But the IAI took great care of me. They treated me like their own child. They became my family. They looked after me, sent me to school, became my virtual parents. If I am so normal now, the credit goes to them."

Then she showed her non-existent biceps and stated, "Now I am so strong." This triggered a laughter between the two friends and the tight air automatically lightened down. After a few seconds, Helen continued, "Now that I have finally let the secret out, I feel amazing."

She came forward and hugged Choosy, patting the small of her back. Everything had come back to normal between them and that in itself, felt incredibly good.