Chapter 7.

C H A P T E R 7

Square didn't ask her what was wrong, instead he took the dog from her hands carefully, and uttered, "Calm down, Choosy. Let's get him to the hospital." She heaved a sigh of relief and obediently followed him as he called a cab. The cab driver was reluctant when he saw the bleeding dog, but upon having promised a few bucks more, he welcomed them inside.

Choosy kept telling the doggy it was fine using the empathetic link. She could sense it's strength wavering away, it's strong bark having been replaced with a bee buzz.

They reached the veterinary hospital in less than ten minutes. The dog was immediately rushed to the operation theatre, and Choosy and Square stood outside the glass door, anticipating what was to come.

She could feel the cry inside her head till the doctors sedated him. His voice was still there, though no more filled with agony or pain. She could sense it coming - death. She kept whispering to herself, "Please, you can take me. But save him."

Square kept stealing awkward glances at her, wondering what was that occupying her mind

And then, all of a sudden, she started crying. The tears flowed out like a waterfall, her sobs w high pitched and filled with so much pain, it terrified Square.

The voice inside her head had stopped. The dog was no more.

"Hey, calm down. What's wrong?", Square came closer to her, in an attempt to calm her down. "Are you thinking about the dog? It's going to be fine, okay? The doctors are trying hard. They will save it. Now can you please stop crying?"

She shook her head, in an attempt to say 'No Square. It's not fine.' He frowned at her, not getting what she meant and went on to occupy a chair at the other end of the hall, leaving her alone. She buried her head in her palms and sobbed on.

Then the doctors came out and told them the dog was no more. He asked them whose was it. Square replied they didn't know who was the owner and that they had found it on the road bleeding.

The doctor thanked them for trying to save a life, and said they did something ninety nine per cent of the people would never think of. All through the conversation, tears streamed down Choosy's eyes and both Square and the doctor had run out of words to console her.

When they made their way out of the hospital, Square asked her one question she never wanted to answer, "How did you know the dog was gone even before the doctor told us?"

She looked into his eyes, trying to hide the nervousness as her brain cells searched for the best answer other than the truth.

"I don't know. I felt like it." Her reply didn't make much sense to him, but he didn't prompt on. What other explanation could be there, anyway, he thought.

They parted ways in front of Choosy's apartment. Helen was standing in front of the gate, worry etched across her face. "Where were you? Do you have any idea how long it's been? What were you even doing?" She started showering her with questions and not waiting for answers, jumped and hugged her. "I was so so so worried."

"I was just spending some time with him." Choosy said,, pointing at Square, too tired to explain what actually happened. She was already feeling bad about lying to Helen.

Helen frowned, looked at him and questioned, "Who are you?"

He flashed his most welcoming smile and replied, "Hi. I am Square! We go to the same school. Helen, right?"

"That is right. Now we have some work to do, so see you later? Bye!" Helen quickly muttered and turned around to enter the apartment pulling Choosy with her.

Choosy turned around and waved at him. He waved back and walked away.

"Helen, I think that was rude." After closing the doors behind her, Choosy spat out.

"Rude? You call that rude? Rude is you not telling me about your first date." She spat back, folding her hands across her chest, clearly angry.

"Date?" Choosy asked, and mocked laughter. "It wasn't a date. I met him at the streets and took a walk home."

"Whatever. You still didn't tell me." Helen muttered, the seriousness wavering away and breaking into a little grin.

"Okay, BFF. I am sorry. Forgive me." Choosy walked forward and put her hands across Helen's shoulders.

Her friend's face had now broken into a wider grin and she hugged back. "How did the date go though?"

Choosy glared back, mocking anger. "It wasn't a date."

Helen broke into fits of laughter, "So did he ask you out?"

"No, he didn't. Why should he? Now can we leave the topic?" Choosy replied, realizing how comfortable had she become in human speech.

"Oh someone is blushing." Helen said again, teasing her best friend harder.

Choosy turned around to walk away, clearly annoyed about the date thing. That's when Helen called her back, "Choosy?"

She turned around and asked, "Yeah?"

The playful grin on Helen's face was gone, and it was replaced by a grave, hesitant face. "There was a letter from the IAI. Your examination is scheduled for early morning, tomorrow."

A/N

Chapter is clearly, evidently unedited.

Also, the updates would become more irregular in the coming days, as I do not have much already-written chapters left!

I was wondering why there is a sudden reduce in the number of reads. Do tell me if it is because the story is getting less interesting.

Love you guys! And don't forget to vote, please!

Lina!