Chapter 6

Halfway into the car ride Damien woke up. "What  time is it"? he asked. Time for you to quit drinking, I thought quietly. No need to start a fight. Not with this excess home drama. Speaking of that  what was I gonna do about Chris. I can already witness his life crumbling down from his ability. He's going to hear things he's not supposed to hear and it will be catastrophic to his childhood. Whoa I think like a smart person. Oh right because I am one. 

       "You were out, we still got time until we get there". Ugh I am majorly pissed off at him right now. He really thought he could get away with coming here drunk.  We stopped at a red light and several joggers passed us. I looked at him. He was staring at one. Ah, gross Damien! Really? I'm right here  you know!

     We stopped at another red light  next to a car. It looked like my dads car. I turned my head and looked. My dad was in there. I watched him more carefully. He brought a bottle up to his mouth. 

  NO, dad please no. I thought. Please, stop! No I can't do this now. Damien was looking at me. "You  OK  Serena?' 

 "I'm fine, I'm fine" although tears were running down my face. 

   "You don't look fine, want me to drive?' I looked at him. He didn't look drunk.  His eyes were back to normal. 

   "Yeah you should" I said and pulled over.

    I'm deciding not to do anything about this. My dad usually sets his limits with drinking and driving. I hope he is still does.

       I put all the worst case scenarios out of my head and think about normal teenage things. I think about makeup and clothes. I think about Damien and how much I love him even though I hate his ass right now. I think about prom and what I'm going to wear. I think about dancing with Damien. I think about my hair and whether I like it curly or straight. I look at my nails and worry that one is chipped.

        But every so often in the middle of these thoughts, I think about Chris and how much shit hes getting into. I end up thinking about my parents and the economic downfall that's occurring in my house. I think about my father who just might get into a car accident. And last but not least, I think about myself and what the hell I'm going to do to get rid of me and my brothers telepathy. Because it will  not run our lives any longer.